Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 SGT steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 PM
07KBSGT

Default 07 SGT steering wheel vibration

I need some help. I have numerous threads for weeks and have replaced parts to no avail. This is what I have and my problem. I have a 2007 SGT with a Kennebell supercharger with 22,000 miles. I have a pretty aggressive shake in my steering wheel from 40ish and up. I have replaced rotors, brakes, tires, had tires balanced 3 times, had alignment done, checked for clip which were removed when rotors were replaced. Checked wheel bearings and tie rod ends. I run 18" Foose Nitrous wheels with hubcentric rings (just bought those to see if it would help, nope). I watched the guys balance my rims all 3 times and had no issues so I am guessing not a bent rim or they would have had issues with balancing. In saying all this. What else can I do? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:06 AM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07KBSGT
I need some help. I have numerous threads for weeks and have replaced parts to no avail. This is what I have and my problem. I have a 2007 SGT with a Kennebell supercharger with 22,000 miles. I have a pretty aggressive shake in my steering wheel from 40ish and up. I have replaced rotors, brakes, tires, had tires balanced 3 times, had alignment done, checked for clip which were removed when rotors were replaced. Checked wheel bearings and tie rod ends. I run 18" Foose Nitrous wheels with hubcentric rings (just bought those to see if it would help, nope). I watched the guys balance my rims all 3 times and had no issues so I am guessing not a bent rim or they would have had issues with balancing. In saying all this. What else can I do? Thanks!
What kind of tires?
Does this happen while braking?
Any other mods?
I've seen axles going bad at 15k before.
Any vibration from 10-30mph?
Post a video.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

From what you stated, you covered most of it. Though you can balance wheel/tire even with a bend.

Are your wheels staggered, if not, you could try moving the rears to the front, at least to see if there is a wheel bend problem with the fronts?

Another possibility are the struts, bad struts could cause steering wheel shake.

BTW - I'm having occasional steering wheel shake, and I'm also in the process of chasing it down, it's a pain.

Last edited by SD 197; 06-03-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Vibration when cruising or braking?

If not when braking, throw out anything brake related. Alignment issues generally don't cause vibrations either.

I would suggest making sure your wheels are straight and having your tires checked with a roadforce balance machine.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Problems with steering column and driveshaft could be causing issues.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 AM
07KBSGT

Originally Posted by zanypunk
What kind of tires?
Does this happen while braking?
Any other mods?
I've seen axles going bad at 15k before.
Any vibration from 10-30mph?
Post a video.
Goes away when braking. I don't believe there are any other mods. I will check today and see if any vibration at those MPH's. I actually took a video on my cell yesterday I will try and upload. Thanks. Oh Nitto NT555 Extreme on the tires.

Originally Posted by SD 197
From what you stated, you covered most of it. Though you can balance wheel/tire even with a bend.

Are your wheels staggered, if not, you could try moving the rears to the front, at least to see if there is a wheel bend problem with the fronts?

Another possibility are the struts, bad struts could cause steering wheel shake.

BTW - I'm having occasional steering wheel shake, and I'm also in the process of chasing it down, it's a pain.
Yes my wheels are staggered so can't switch them but I'm looking for someone with some wheels that will fit. I'm ordering new strut mounts and struts so I will have them on this next weekend and get it realigned. And yes it's a pain.

Originally Posted by JRC702
Vibration when cruising or braking?

If not when braking, throw out anything brake related. Alignment issues generally don't cause vibrations either.

I would suggest making sure your wheels are straight and having your tires checked with a roadforce balance machine.
I will ask about what balancer the shops use around here. Thanks.

Originally Posted by howarmat
Problems with steering column and driveshaft could be causing issues.
That's what I'm hoping isn't the issue. We glanced at the driveshaft and steering but haven't looked in detail. That will be soon, thanks.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have the tires balanced on a RoadForce machine. I had 4 new wheels/tires balance perfectly on a standard spin balance but still had an issue. WHen the same shop did the RoadForce they found a defective tire with a bad belt. Tirerack shipped a new tire and it did the trick.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07KBSGT
Goes away when braking.
If it goes away on braking, something is loose in the steering linkage, most likely a tie rod end. There are inner and outer tie rod ends. Many people forget to check the inner one. The braking has the effect of removing the play in the sloppy joints of the steering linkage. So, that's why the vibration goes away on braking. Bushings can do it too, but vibration due to bushings and strut problems usually don't go away on braking. Also, pretty much every other problem the group has been talking about does not go away on braking.

Last edited by JThor; 06-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
07KBSGT

Originally Posted by Nuke
Have the tires balanced on a RoadForce machine. I had 4 new wheels/tires balance perfectly on a standard spin balance but still had an issue. WHen the same shop did the RoadForce they found a defective tire with a bad belt. Tirerack shipped a new tire and it did the trick.
I will find a local shop that uses that machine, thanks!

Originally Posted by JThor
If it goes away on braking, something is loose in the steering linkage, most likely a tie rod end. There are inner and outer tie rod ends. Many people forget to check the inner one. The braking has the effect of removing the play in the sloppy joints of the steering linkage. So, that's why the vibration goes away on braking. Bushings can do it too, but vibration due to bushings and strut problems usually don't go away on braking. Also, pretty much every other problem the group has been talking about does not go away on braking.
I will try this first sounds like a good concept that makes sense, I hope this will fix the issue, thank you!