Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2007 Mustang v6 Wrench warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

It "could" be many things, which is why you want something to read those trouble-codes in the first place.

It is very unlikely that after changing the TB that you get this issue and it is unrelated. Have you done anything else recently? Wasn't overheating right? Just limp home without any other symptoms on the dash or otherwise aside from the check engine light? If you do a search you can find many entries for "limp home mustang" and the like. Nearly all of which point to either the intake(tb, iat sensor, throttle position sensor) or exhaust controls(evap, o2 sensors).

The only other thing to check would be the BEC related fuses (any that say "Engine #"), as it's possible that you blew one, think fuse 47 (Engine #1, use the owners manual to read/find BEC fuse section)is o2 sensor related that would cause a limp home condition.

In any case, just keep the receipt, diagnose this, then return the generic OBD-II reader and buy a good tuner, then you can read ODB-II codes and get a noticeable performance gain all at once. Custom tune from somewhere shipped to you like http://americanmuscle.com would be best.

List of all DTCs and what pinpoint test to use from the powertrain section:http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=10&viewfile=Diagnostic%20Trouble%20Code%20(DT C)%20Charts%20and%20Descriptions.pdf

Likely need this one since it's 99% likely to be TB related(from what is mentioned so far):http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=30&viewfile=Throttle%20Body%20Assembly%20Elec tronic%20Throttle%20Control%20(ETC).pdf

Last edited by wayne613; 06-05-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 AM
thejoker62
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your answer !

In fact, It;s been more than a Months so more than 100 miles that I am driving with the throttle body ( las thing that I changed ) But thing who can be weird is that while I was driving after a complete stop, my car started to make a Hudge noise I cannot even describe it to you and stopped maybe 10 second later ( which is a lot)

its the Only thing that I noticed who was weird. I dunno where this noise came from it was under the Hood that is for sure but after where ... I have no clue. I know that my mustang started to male a little bit a noise ( pretty strong) while i was turning ( when i did a complete stop) but that's it ...

And after this noise stopped, I kept going on my road until the fas station which was fortunatly cloase to my housse ... I finished the road In limp home mode .
Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

In that case you might be f'ed. "Huge noises" are not usually a good thing. Where it simply goes into limp mode caused by something TB or emissions related, it should have been fairly smooth other than maybe some whiplash. Sure this isn't fail-safe?

Find out when you get an ODB-II reader...

Last edited by wayne613; 06-05-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
thejoker62
1st Gear Member

I mean, What is the difference btw limp mode and fail safe ?

What I know is that My car when I open it is super 'hard' I mean it looks like to be between the stall and staying 'awake' if i can say that like that ( i have a manual) and when I turn it off it super 'violent' Like it litteraly stop super stict ... Not a normale shut down at all
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Both terms are used interchangeably quite a bit, but "fail-safe" I think limits the amount of fuel, and will actually shut the engine off completely when it gets hot enough, even kills the AC functionality in ours to help keep it from overheating as fast.
Limp home in most modern vehicles as I understand it, just cuts off half the cylinders (in this case 4), and limits the rpms in ours, as it's sensing an issue, but not an imminently catastrophic one (you hope).

First thing I'd do personally after checking the fuses is go over the TB install instructions word for word, preferably backwards, as in putting the OEM TB back in, and put together correctly.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-20...b-install.html

We keep emphasizing this as the BBK TB's tend to do this rather frequently on their own, and if you're not careful, you could have f'ed up the swap by over-torquing and the like when you put the OEM back on.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-05-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
thejoker62
1st Gear Member

Yea I see,

Some peoples ssays that this issue might be because of the TPS ... Do you believe in that ?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Other than going over what I've mentioned, that's about all you can do til you get an ODB-II reader that can tell you what really is related.

Otherwise, you're simply guessing. Loud noises from the engine bay don't bode well for it being as simplistic as being able to blame the BBK TB or the TPS on it.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-05-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM
thejoker62
1st Gear Member

The engine noise is not all the time actually she did it no more than 2 or 3 times but last time , she really did it super stong and loud ... A noise like if something was making my mustang braking ... Like if something was stuck somewhere and was trying to still work. and after this 5-10 sce the noise totally disapeared

Tomorrow either way I'm gonna buy a ODB II at Auto parts and Will let you know what is My code ... Hopefully nothing super bad
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 PM
thejoker62
1st Gear Member

Hey Guys so today I bought the OBD II

So I have 2 codes P2111 and P2104
I already put backback on my stock throttle body because i had put on a BBK one. the codes are still showing up which is msking me think i need to try and clean my TPS and if that doesnt work then replace it?
tell me what you think
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

So, yep, TB/TPS related. Likely a bad correlation or the TPS has crapped out.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/7365424-post9.html

Again, here is the link for the instructions including the TROUBLESHOOTING for the BBK install on the last page of the pdf. Use it. This will tell you what the voltage levels should be, if they're in spec, the TPS is fine. May need slight adjustment if you inadvertently fiddled with it previously, which it will walk you through:
http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...bbkins1763.pdf

Just use the search and do all the cleaning and re-seating the spring that fixed it for most others, after you've gone through the above, then likely buy a new TPS. But verify it is in fact the issue first before throwing money/parts at it.

Code:
P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Open
Description: This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a
greater angle than commanded.
Possible
Causes:
 Binding throttle body, stuck open
 TAC motor circuits are cross-wired
 TAC motor harness circuits are shorted together
 Damaged PCM
Suggests the spring or something is not set/seated correctly.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang v6 Wrench warning light