Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions AND your tales, please :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Default Need some opinions AND your tales, please :)

Hello fellow Pony Lovers!

Well, to make a long story short. A while back, year maybe more, I was dead set on buying a 07-09 GT. Time passed and the lack of a car payment made me wait...as did the re-birth of the 2011 GT w/ 5.0.

It was a no brainer to wait until I could afford a 5.0.

So, here I am now, maybe 3-6 months away from seriously looking @ 11's.

Here in the Seattle area, used 11's are NOT cheap. I see in other states many 11's will go for $2k or more in a dealer's asking price.

So, here are my questions/concerns. I currently drive a 02' Mercury Cougar (v6 30th anniversary Ed) with 73k miles and it's in great condition. KBB gives me a trade of $4500 and a private sale of $5700. I know what a dealer will offer varies greatly, but I'm kinda of thinking if the dealer will give me 4500 or damn close, then just go for it..IF I can get my 11' for what I want.

Second question......it's been...10 years since I've dealt with a car dealer. Any advice as how to haggle for a price?

If I see a Pony I want and their asking price is $28k, as a complete guesstimate average, what would be a reasonable offer on my part? Go in asking......$24? knowing I'm ok with going a bit higher, say $25k?

I know every car makes this situation very situational, but I'm just curious how any of you new/semi-new Pony owners negotiated your price. What was your dealer asking and what did you drive it off the lot for?

Thanks for any advice and stories!!

Bruce in Seattle
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Got mine brand new out the door 20k....
Although mine isn't a Gt it just shows you can down the price.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
MrBlack2012GT

I've heard several folks say they haggled a new 2012 GT premium down to just under $30k. Of course, this would mean no sat nav, 3.31 rear gearing, shaker 500, not the shaker 1000, 18 inch rims with 235 Pirellis, not 19 inch rims w/ brembos and 255 Pirellis, etc. etc.

My old man and I found out that payments on a 2012 GT would be about $100 less per month than they were on our 2010 F150, so we went to the lot to look around of course. The only GT they had left was a black 2012 GT premium, manual, 3.31 rear, saddle leather seats, shaker 500, ambient lightning/mycolor/tach redline glow etc., no sat nav, no rear spoiler, no brembos, stock GT rims and tires for 32k, got it for 30k flat because of military discounts and other incentives because we've bought several Fords from that dealership. I'm in no position to be giving advice because let's face it, i'm 19, but that's my story.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Check out Truecar.com and look at the invoice price. You should be able to get under that on a new car, and well under that on a 2011. If you're really after a 2011, buy used and let someone else eat the first year depreciation.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

got my 08 premium gt vert for ~25k 6 months ago, but i live in mexico, so this ost shouldnt give you much insight
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 AM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Always get the price of the new car negotiated before you talk trade in value. If you don't set the price of the new car they will play numbers games with your trade and you will not really know what you are getting for your trade. IME
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

The best advice I can tell you, is shop around and be Patient the right deal will come around.

Set the price in your head what you wanna pay per month and what you willing to pay specfic to each car. Most importantly is being able to walk away from it if your not getting what you set when you where level headed because I dont know if you are like me but I get all messed up but I know I have to stick to what I say I can afford and want
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

if you'd like an actual Ford dealer to work with, I can get you in touch with the guy I worked with .. excellent, most honest sales person I've ever worked with, and gave me fair pricing without the need to haggle .. including on my trade in value (2k higher then anywhere else), and I've bought ~8 cars or so, and really know how to haggle. I was amazed.

his name is Kurtis and he works at the Ford dealership in Everett.

regarding pricing and what's fair .. it all depends on the options and the mileage! you have to remember that a new GT for 11's started around 29.5 and could be optioned up all the way to 40k'ish. hopefully you've already looked at base vs premium and all of the options you can get / know what you want at this point you can use kbb, edmonds, truecar and autotrader to look around at comparables to get a good idea of asking price. there's no 'one rule fits all' for how much lower you and the dealer/person can settle on, it varies in each scenario. the best deals are found when the person isn't in too deep on the car and they are looking for a quick sale.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Here are the things I KNOW I want...

Black
5.0 > 4.6, so clearly it has to be a 11'
something under 20k miles
stick

I'm seeing 11's for asking prices in the $34k-$28K range.

I'm NOT 100% sure the differences between the GT Premium and a "base" GT, embarrassing to admit, but I'm just now starting to research. I've been away from Mustangs since 1999 since I owned my last one (91 GT vert...LOVED that car).

I'd prefer leather, but cloth is "OK" if the car is a steal.

I'm not sure what to do about my car....2002 Mercury Cougar. KBB private sale has it at $5600 and deal trade is like $4400. If I could find a car at my price AND the dealer would give me $4,000-$4200 I'd jump on it. No guarantee I can sell it for $5600.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Walking in already financed through a credit union saved me a major headache of haggling over price

Quick Reply: Need some opinions AND your tales, please :)