Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear episode - Shelby vs Roush

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default Top Gear episode - Shelby vs Roush

Watching Top Gear yesterday, (dang those guys are hollarious!) where the boys test drove a GT500 (probably an 2009 episode). One of the comments that caught my attention was that the Roush had better suspension, and the GT500 lacked suspension upgrades due to costs. Is this still the case in 2012 and 2013? Does Roush truly outperform Shelby?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I watched that last night as well, it was also down about 100hp from the shelby, and still got a 2 sec better lap time.

The power of a well-balanced and applied suspension, can outweigh power itself..
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I think if you were to jump into a 2013 Shelby, the very last thing on your mind - as you approach 200mph - would be worrying about whether or not a Roush corners better than your Shelby.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think the boss today has suspension comparable to what the Roush (and Saleen for that matter) had way back then.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I thought their suspension complaints were irrelevant.

Complaining about only going straight? Well, that's what we have in America. Long, straight roads.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Wish I could compare but I am too poor to own a GT500..lol
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun

Complaining about only going straight? Well, that's what we have in America. Long, straight roads.
we have all types of roads, go to any mountainous area.. and suspension helps the feel of the car in all areas anyway, much less brake dive and nose rise etc...

gt500 looked sloppy and apparently felt sloppy
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun

There aren't many straight roads on the East and West coasts for more than a mile at best, you must mean out in the Corn Belt or Florida or something. Unless you happen to live in said corn belt where there also is little to no traffic - the dodging of highway traffic and slow pokers also brings the handling aspect to light. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, and have enjoyed taking all my cars throughout the years to The Dragon.. Straight line roads can KMA they are boring..

To each their own though, certainly. However I prefer my car to be able to handle and put that power to the ground, and not have the rear end wagging in the air when I brake, or worrying about excessive body roll in turns throwing my weight-balance ratios off.. Take it to the curves where some skill and performance are both needed. You could throw a drunk guy behind the wheel and go straight.. (well sorta..) The fact that Roush built a car that gets 2 secs up on a Shelby with 100hp on it (on a small 1:30 average track setup), says right there it's 'not' all about straight line flooring.. 2 secs is a 'lot' for a small track like that, and 2 secs is 'forever' when you are talking straight line..

They (Euro Top Gear) never have much good to say about Mustangs due to the SRA anyhow. All opinions aside - the episode in discussion was years old, and today's Shelby isn't the one he drove at all. Engine and suspension-wise the differences from the 05-09 to the 10-12 (and now 13) Shelbys are substantial, so it's sorta a moot point.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If you buy me both cars, I can give you a full report later.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I was speaking more to the mid west and desert. Unless I've misread, isn't Shelby American in Nevada?

Quick Reply: Top Gear episode - Shelby vs Roush