Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bama tuner worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Drivethrujerod

Default Bama tuner worth it?

I have a 2012 premium v6 mustang automatic with 3.31 gears. I was wondering if a tuner would be worth the 379$ for a performance gain and gas mileage. I drive 90 miles a day for work and get on average 25 mpg interstate.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Yes it is worth it. It gives the extra kick to your car and really wakes up the V6. I didn't see a noticeable difference in my MPG's.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yours is a very frequent question.

I don't recall what the gain is on the 3.7L from a good custom tune but the 4.0 sees about 15-20 RWHP and the 4.6L sees about 20-25 RWHP. In addition to the power gains, there are driveability improvements such as reduced/eliminated throttle lag, improved shift points (for the autos) and the ability to adjust some parameters yourself such as for different tire sizes, having your gears changed, etc.

There'll be no gas mileage improvement unless you get an economy tune, at which point we'll cut your man-card into little pieces if we can stop from laughing when soccer mom's blow your doors off.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Drivethrujerod

Alright , thanks a lot for the replies !
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Drivethrujerod

Probably another dumb and common question but does it void warranty to have a tuner? Are their really any drawbacks to getting one ?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drivethrujerod
Probably another dumb and common question but does it void warranty to have a tuner? Are their really any drawbacks to getting one ?
1. Yes
2. See #1.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless the dealer can prove that the problem you take the car in for warranty work for was directly related to the tune, then no, they cannot void your warranty. Unfortunately, some dealers are azzwipes and will intimidate some people. If so, find another dealer. I usually like to raise bloody hell to the point they throw me out or concede to the warranty work to keep me quiet.

And, yes, custom tunes are worth it. They add significant power and provide other enhancements.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

The warrenty deal is the only bad thing but yes they are worth it.

I couldnt recommend them more, not really a MPG getter but sure as hell notice a big power increase
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Safe it for the supercharger...
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 AM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drivethrujerod
Found this on another thread, i think this should help:

"A tuner (reflashing) will change the program that your car runs on. To avoid warranty issues just "Flash" back to stock before having it serviced. It's really a case by case basis depending on your dealer. Read this post by scrming:

"If you flash your car can the dealership tell? Yes, they can... No, they can't.... The debate has raged on long enough!!!

Here is the answer I got back from my sources inside of Ford engineering... I even had multiple sources confirm this... I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me... however I basically went to the horse's mouth on this one...

As it stands TODAY, all the dealership can tell is the last time the computer has been reset. Notice I said reset, not reflashed. Yes, reflashing does set this reset "date". But guess what... so does disconnecting the battery! LOL! So the dealership has no way of know what caused the reset... Simply tell them you left your lights on! LOL! Or in my case the bottle heaters! Ok, so maybe not the bottle heaters! LOL!

Now Ford does have a way to download the programming in the computer... if you did not reflash the car to stock then they will obviously see the differences and no you reflashed the car... however if you put the computer back to stock then all they will be able to tell is that the comptuer was reset... again... oops... i killed my battery... LOL!

Hopefully this will put an end to the debate...."

-scrming"

Oh and yes the tuner is well worth it, I waited for a year to get mine because i didn't want to spend the money, finally did and don't regret it at all, feels like a whole new car

Last edited by BrandonsBlueStang; 06-09-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Bama tuner worth it?