Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look for some insight from those with subs in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Look for some insight from those with subs in the trunk

Ive got a nice Kicker 750.1 amp powering a Kicker L7 zub but its in an unfinished box just sitting loosely in the trunk (velcro on the bottom, lol. Not structurally sound but it keeps it planted pretty well.)
Ive been meaning on getting around to designing something better looking and fitting but Ive been a bit lazy. Well, after needing my spare tire today and having to pull my box out and sit it in the parking lot to get to it, I have some motivation.
So what have you guys done to secure your subs? Id like to build some sort of box that is out of the way (at least as much as it can be) so I can have some trunk space again as well as access to my spare. And what do you guys recommend as far as securing the sub in place?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 AM
06stangia
1st Gear Member

Here is a couple of pics of mine in one you can see the bolt head.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 AM
06stangia
1st Gear Member

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 AM
06stangia
1st Gear Member

Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
nawagner

Mine are bolted down through the trunk floorpan.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM
BearKats15
1st Gear Member

Mine are also velcrowed down. But I have to ask... Does it make your trunk rattle and flex like crazy? I'm not a fan or the rattle
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I currently don't have any pictures of mine but I can post one later. For now I will describe how mine is set up.

I have two 12" Kenwood subs in a sealed box pointing toward the rear of the car. The box was too deep for me to fit it in where I wanted it with access to my spare in case I ever needed it. I cut about 4 inches off the back of the box and sealed it back up.

Then mounted a foot long "L" bracket to the top of the box and placed the box as deep into the trunk as possible and screwed two screws into the deck lid where the two rear speakers are mounted (there is about a 2" piece of metal that extends down from the deck lid, that is where the "L" bracket is screwed in).

I have no rattles at all other than the vibration of the sound waves shaking the trunk. Which is annoying to hear when standing outside of the car. Lol. Pointing them towards the front of the car produced almost no sound though so I just live with it. I can't hear the vibration when I'm inside the car though.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

About 15 years ago I had two 12"s kickers in the trunk secured with metal L brackets to the metal and the covered the entire trunk's metal with dynamat and it had a muted vibration, but the vibration ended up splitting my spoiler in half and undoing all the bolts and screws in the back half of the car. It caused so many problems. OH and my mirror was stuck on the front window instead of mounted to the roof so that vibrated and fell off the window... the front dash ended up developing a vibration / rattle too when driving.

I do still vividly remember the different shakes from the bass though when looking in the mirror at the headlights behind me. The lights would go clockwise and then counter-clockwise then up and down etc.

edit: I see you all have them facing in from the sides... Back in the days they told me you get more if you have them facing away from you towards the back of the trunk. Is that different now?

Last edited by ninefooter; 06-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Nice setups you guys have in here, I just have my 12 sitting in the middle of the trunk! Lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM
BearKats15
1st Gear Member

Has anyone found a way to stop the flex/rattle/vibration of the trunk? Maybe dynomat?
Also has anyone sat in the back of their car and found that the felt covering above the deck lid speakers and back seat hits the window thus making noise?

Quick Reply: Look for some insight from those with subs in the trunk