Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a little $$$ to spend on my car...Few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
HabsForever

Default Got a little $$$ to spend on my car...Few Q's

Hello. I am a college student with a 2006 v6 Mustang. Although everything is pretty much totally stock, I love it very much and plan on having it for many more years to come. I have my first big time summer job and I'm making a bit of money and I finally have enough to comfortably use a little bit of it on my car. I have a few things I've been looking to get, but I was wondering if everyone could help provide not only insight as to what they think I should get, but how much each should ideally run me.

In terms of upgrades, I would like to get a new headunit, maybe some louder speakers, tinted windows, and a new muffler. How much does this type of stuff usually run? I have no experience with it whatsoever. I heard tints would be like $120, and unless I am mistaken I thought a new head unit would be about $200 with installation. I'm not looking for top of the line here. As far as the muffler goes, I just want a better sound to my car. My friend has a piece of **** early 90's BMW that almost sounds better than my car. Can't be having that. I would, again, prefer to stay with a budget option here.

Anyways, here is the biggest part of my question. Awhile ago, I backed into something and messed up the back left side of my back bumper. It's just under the reflector back there, which is cracked, and the bumper just beneath there kind of "popped out" of the slot, never mind the paint chipping. That one was totally my fault. However, once when my mom was driving it, she got into a very minor fender bender where the only damage for either car was some paint chipping on my front bumper. I suspect that could just be painted over or whatever. Does anyone have any experience on how much this would be to get fixed? It bothers me so much.

I think I would like to get the bumper fixed first, unless the cost of that is out of reason for a college student who is just saving up money to spend for myself. Otherwise the only reason I am asking is because I don't have much experience with this stuff and wanted some second opinions from people more knowledgeable than I am.

Thank you for your time reading and responding to this and I am sorry for the length. Enjoy, everyone.

Last edited by HabsForever; 06-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Deciding on mods or repairs is a tough decision. You have to decide if better quality sound is more important to you than how your vehicle looks. If you ask me, when I see someone driving a busted up Stang, my first thought is that they don't give a ratz azz about it and that I feel sorry for the Stang. But that's just me.

The price of head units vary widely but I'm sure you can get some input on those in your price range. I'd do the headunit 1st (assuming you choose that over the body work) and wait until you have a few more $$ if you think you still need speakers. Just the headunit should improve the audio.

Stop by 3 or 6 shops and get estimates for the body work. I suspect it won't be cheap but when the car looks great you'll feel great. Chicks dig a good looking car more than a few extra kHz of audio response.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM
HabsForever

Yeah, I'm definitely not happy about it at all but it's been there for almost two years so I've learned to deal with it. I just haven't ever had enough money to do it. I don't know if the back bumper is totally trashed, but if so, how much is a new one? Also, is there anything easy I can have done with the paint scratches on the front bumper? I guess you're right, feeling good about that stuff is better, I suppose.

I can take a picture if it helps anyone identify how bad it may be.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

Yea, a picture would definitely help. I suspect a $6 bottle of touch up paint (applied by a tiny brush) could do for now if it's small enough. You can find that at a Ford dealership.

If I were you, I'd fix up the ride. I can't tell you how many compliments I used to get on my stock (or near stock) mustang from girls. The more you mod, the more the female comments get fewer as they appreciate grilles, louvers, exhaust, etc a little less than guys do haha.Though, I do still get my fair share of yells (the good kind) when driving around campus.

Like Nuke said, if your ride looks good, you feel great! I haven't been able to detail my car in 3 weeks and haven't cleaned the inside in 2 months. I feel like schit, and I'm not kidding. Can't wait for this weekend so I can finally clean the car properly.

As for head units, I have a pioneer DEH 3400UB for $100 that's a pretty nice little head unit. Tack on the speakers, and I was right at $350. Saved a good chunk of money by doing the work myself and just taking my time (check out crutchfield.com). As for cheap single exhaust, you can get yourself a GT takeoff muffler. Those are cheap though I don't have any price for you (google it). A quality tint job will set you back anywhere from $120-$200 depending if you're just doing an application or removal of old tint and reapplying darker tint.

As for bumpers... those can get pricey especially for a college student, unless you have a good paying internship.

If I were you though, I'd start with the bumper repairs for now.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Hexanon

Originally Posted by HabsForever
Also, is there anything easy I can have done with the paint scratches on the front bumper? I guess you're right, feeling good about that stuff is better, I suppose.

I can take a picture if it helps anyone identify how bad it may be.
Hey man, fellow budget-strapped college student here! How long are the scratches? I've heard that you can get touch-up paint markers with OEM colors, if you know the color code for your vehicle.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hexanon
Hey man, fellow budget-strapped college student here! How long are the scratches? I've heard that you can get touch-up paint markers with OEM colors, if you know the color code for your vehicle.
Newbies are sprouting up everywhere! I was in the same boat as you not two years ago. Yes, figure out your paint code and just go on down to the local Ford dealership or search the internet perhaps. Your paint code can be found the driver side door jam and will be two characters. Ex: Vista Blue=G9
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

FIX THE CAR! Some t-bagger (non political) hit me from the side on my last stang and jacked up the side scoop. Until I got it fixed, I just felt so miserable and unhappy driving the car. I stayed in the fast lane so no one could see it. Stock perfection is better than busted and modded all day every day!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
HabsForever

All right, I just went outside and took a few pictures. It's dark out, but you get the idea.

First up is the front bumper. Again, no real structural damage here, just the paint scrape where presumably my bumper went under whatever car my mother hit with it.

Next up is the back left side of my car, technically a piece of the back bumper. The picture doesn't really show the paint scrapes beneath it well, but you see the part popping out. Maybe I wouldn't need a new bumper. All I know is it really bothers me and as you guys mentioned, really puts me in a bad mood when I think about it.

Lastly, a few more paint scrapes from my accident. These are a bit further down the bumper, visible from the back.

That's about it. Yes I know it's bad and yes it does drive me insane. But I've lived with it. How much would getting this fixed cost? I work a whole lot and don't have much free time, but I do plan on bringing it somewhere for an official estimate sometime soon, as soon as I can. Since it matters as far as the paint goes, I have the stock grey color.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I had damage very similar to that and I was quoted $350 to repair it. I didn't get it repair, I fixed it myself (which I would not recommend. It looks great for what it is, but to someone with a critical eye it is obvious that it was repaired in the garage. I'll try to find the link to my thread.)

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-repaint.html
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
HabsForever

$350 isn't THAT bad. I guess I could do that maybe. It would certainly ease up my mind a little bit...

Quick Reply: Got a little $$$ to spend on my car...Few Q's