Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 mustang gt roush axleback with BBK after cat x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

Default 2011 mustang gt roush axleback with BBK after cat x pipe

Roush axle backs alone with no tune. To help with comparison.

Roush axlebacks with BBK x pipe after cats. 1st rev is at 3000 Rpm. 2nd rev is at 5000.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for this. I have the Roush axle backs and no tune ... yet. I am trying to decide between a CAI with a tune or an off-road X-pipe with a tune. You have both it seems, which do you think gives the most gains (CAI or X)?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Thanks for this. I have the Roush axle backs and no tune ... yet. I am trying to decide between a CAI with a tune or an off-road X-pipe with a tune. You have both it seems, which do you think gives the most gains (CAI or X)?
I did the CAI with tune. I kept my cats due to emissions inspections. But I hear that off road x with roush exhaust isn't a good loud sound, But the off road x pipe and cat backs that AM did was a great set up. The hp/tq numbers were as good as if you had put LT with cats. Also easier to install. The exhaust would smell more like fuel though. I live in a small town, they would love to give me a ticket for no cats. They already giving me "the look" cause my gt is loud, I took off the resonators. There's no sound laws yet. I could be wrong maybe the cops are enjoying the sound of a high reving 302.

Also be aware. Moving the cats is a federal offense. Which means that even if you live in a town/county/state that has no emission there is still a chance that you may get into trouble. I hear its a 2500 fine to owner, and 25000 fine to the muffler shop that removes them. Im no fan of the law but obeying them keeps me out of trouble and money in my pocket.

I tried the tuner first with K&N drop in filter (which I'm trying to sell), there wasn't a noticable difference. I got the CAI. With the tune there was the big difference that you could feel. Better throttle response. Tourque management was turned off on the 93 race tune. 1 to 4 shift was disabled. Benefits that you will not get from a O/R x.
As far as the #8 cylinder issue AM warrantees this. As long as you only used their tune.
I did the Airaid I could just install or take out a tube insert which allows me to use the CAI with a tune or without. Ideal for dealer visits.

IMO go with the CAI and tune first. It's the better option. If its doesn't quench the thirst get a O/R X. Besides you still need the tuner. AM got unlimited tunes. That allows you to add mods that need a tuner. Which is cool, cause I knew I was going beyond a CAI. Hope this helps you.