Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep my SRT8 charger or buy a new 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
You'll be laughing in giddiness if you put yourself in a 5.0 compared to the charger. It will be night and day faster.

As for fuel econ on the new 5.0 engine; you're going to be looking at 24-26mpg highway and 16-18mpg city. I've put in tons of highway miles lately so my average sits at 21.5mpg right now.

What would I do if I were you? I'd hold on to the charger for another year and a half. Let the 50th Ann come out, if you like that...buy in and sell the charger...if not, buy a lightly used black 2013 or 2014 for less than sticker win-win.
I think I will be going with this plan.
thank you for your input.

BTW i get like 12-14 city, and 19, MAYBE 20 highway. (i avereaged 21mpg to San diego with no traffic)
Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
didn't you just (as in within the last 2 months "just") get the charger? Since you have an SRT8, my suggestion would be to test drive the 2013 GT and see how it compares to the SRT8... I know that large HEMI is hard to beat in terms of power and I understand your question about gas mileage, but you have owned many hi-performance rides in the last 4 years so why worry about MPG now? Get a toyota if you want the MPGs.

If after driving a new 5pointOhhhh and you decide to keep the SRT8, no one here will hate on you for that decision. But only you can decide if it's worth your money to do so.

Good luck,
Don
Hey Don, how's it going?
Thanks for the advice about the 5.0 with the voided warranty on my last post.

Yes it has been about two months or so with the srt and I love it but after seeing these 5.0's starting to run around it is VERY tempting to get one and do so much to it. I don't want to be the last one modding these damn things, haha. But i might give it a 1-2 years and see then. Thanks Don.Hope your ride is running better than ever now.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
You go through a lot of cars, I hope you're not financing these things cause it's gonna ruin your credit score.

Personal advice, you need to settle down and sit with just one car. Now I know I have a lot of room to talk owning a 98 V6, 95 5.0, 00 v6, 99 Cobra, 08 GT, 97 GT, and 11 V6, but some of those I got for free and sold. The cars I bought I kept for a while, with the 5.0 being the longest at over 6 years.

You seem to be changing your mind a lot, remember there is a lot more to life than the car you drive. However with that said the new 2011+ Mustangs will be the best long term auto investment. Again, with that said, I WOULD NOT pay full value for one off the show room. I'd get one, and I did get one, barely used which knocked around 6,000 off the inflated price tag. I'd suggest you do the same. No you can get it "decked out" from the factory, but the money you save you can invest into more important matters in life and still have all the funds to modify it to your hearts contempt.
Nope, i am buying these cars all cash.
They are very good investments and have to ability to flip them with a few mods and exterior goodies.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't buy the first year of the anniversary because all the tsbs the 05/06s have. I'm trading my 4.0 for a 3.7 in a year all cash/trade in and I'm going to keep that 4 years and but the anniversary style if I like it
Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Nice color scheme
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

So you're pushing around 400+ whp i'm guessing with your upgrades? but the thing is over 4200 lbs curb weight :O It's like a tank.
I'm surprised you like the car but want to get rid of it so quickly. Even if I had lots of money to throw around, i'd drive my car a year to really get to know it, unless it just didn't like it (test drive)..

If I had to choose i'd definitely want a 5.0 over SRT8... the stang is just smaller, lighter, more nimble (after you lower it like your charger is). Oh and i have to have manual trans
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well, you're asking this on MF soooo prepare for everyone to say 5.0 hahahaha but in my completely unbiased opinion, I've always found that year model Charger a letdown. You'd be much, much happier with the 5.0
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

The four doors would sure be nice to keep, but I'd say that would be about the only advantage to keeping the Charger over a 5.0.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you had a Challenger.. well, that would be a difficult decision. The 5.0 will take it all to the next level. The Charger will feel like a granny car in comparison on so many levels.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You have a new car you have owned for 2 months and are thinking about switching vehicles? Honestly that's a total waste of $. You have owned 4 cars in four years. Learn to appreciate what you have. Paying cash or not its a bad trend. The fun part of owning a nice car is making it your own over time. You do everything at once then get bored and move on. Your never appreciate the journey.

Quick Reply: Keep my SRT8 charger or buy a new 5.0?