Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me im just being paranoid..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Please tell me im just being paranoid..

I have a 2011 GT with about 22,000 miles.

Things ive notice in the last 2 months:

After driving in 5th or 6th on the highway for more than 10 or so minutes, when I depress the clutch, it is at least twice as stiff as when cruising around.

Recently noticed that when I start the car.. depress the clutch.. and slide it in first, the car moves about an inch or two despite the clutch pedal being all the way to the floor. If I take it out of gear with the pedal still down.. then put it back into first, it doesn't move again.

The clutch does not slip or smell after normal or even "spirited" driving. The change in the clutch pedal feel is noticeable though.. and happens every time I drive to and from work (20 miles each way). I'm 100% positive this is new.

Transmission is starting to get a little noisy.. especially in 2nd. I may be noticing the noise since I'm driving more with the windows up and the radio off (its HOT OUT).

I tend to notice every little nuance of my cars.. and dread going to the dealer.. so I was just wanting confirmation.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The car moving when you put it in gear is not normal. I've installed 2 aftermarket clutches and neither does that, nor did the stocker.

it could be nothing. A clutch is a very simple thing. The hydraulic slave cylinder pushes on the pressure plate fingers, which release the pressure on the clutch disc, allowing it to spin freely. The clutch disc could just be sticking to the flywheel momentarily and that's why the car moves or it could be a damaged pressure plate.

My brakes stick after washing my car, if it sits all night. The pads and rotors actually rust together and you can feel them break free. A similar thing might be happening with your clutch.

If it engages smoothly, then I wouldn't worry.

As for the additional pressure, i'm not really sure what could cause additional pressure after driving. If there were a pressure plate problem, then it would be stiff all the time.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How do you shut the car off? do you have the clutch pedal pressed down or do you shut it off in nuetral?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

it wouldn't surprise me if the slave cylinder is shot. It's only good for 60,000-80,000 miles and is pretty weak for all of the "spirited" driving we put on these cars. Definitely what you are experiencing is not normal for 22,000

The one in my 07 was completely shredded @ 65,000 miles, Spring had cut thru the housing and was grinding against the bearings. the whole thing literally fell apart in my hands.
everything else was perfectly fine
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
How do you shut the car off? do you have the clutch pedal pressed down or do you shut it off in nuetral?
I'm pretty sure I put it in first, turn the key off, then release the clutch pedal.

Regarding smooth shifting, the car had always seemed inconsistent.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I've only really noticed increased clutch pedal stiffness when driving it hard / high rpms in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, when going to shift to the next, personally - probably totally unrelated.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I guess my main concern is the pressure plate bolts since my car was built before the revision.

Anyone know how long it would take a shop to inspect the pressure plate? What all is involved?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I guess my main concern is the pressure plate bolts since my car was built before the revision.

Anyone know how long it would take a shop to inspect the pressure plate? What all is involved?
Pulling the transmission, couple hours labor I'd guess. It should be fairly obvious if the pressure plate bolts are torqued down correctly just by looking at the fingers.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You're being paranoid.

As for any mechanical issues you might be having, that could be a different story entirely, but you most definitely have paranoia.