Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti Freeze EVERWHARR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
What does that last sentence mean? That you had the car at the radiator shop before the problem started? I've never heard of an intake just "popping loose". Was the radiator cap even twisted on all the way? If you refilled the coolant system and reattached the intake, and everything seems otherwise fine, it sounds like a case of forgetful mechanic syndrome.

BTW, you didn't mention which of your cars is the topic of this thread - the V6 or the V8.
Last sentence means I'm glad I didn't have to take it to a shop to get everything checked out, since my father used to be a radiator mechanic

Oh, and this is about the v8.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
used to be a radiator mechanic
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Well, that is seriously what he did. He ONLY worked on radiators.

... It happened again today. It is looking like something that might require a bit more work than what my father can still do. I had to leave it at a truck stop over night - and I'm getting it towed to a shop in the morning.

It also only happens when I'm going slow.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 07-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
JimC

Check for head gasket issues - that will cause the coolant to boil out of the reservoir.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Check for head gasket issues - that will cause the coolant to boil out of the reservoir.
... I'm thinking that might be expensive.

Fingers crossed.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

That sux man. Curious to hear what it is. Good luck man, hope it is a easy (cheap) fix.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I just went on a late night rescue mission and drove it home - without stopping - because I only have issues when I stop/go really slow - like the traffic jam I was in today.

Still getting towed to the shop in the morning, but I wasn't going to sleep with my car sitting in public in a city that I hate. It was worth the risk of getting pulled over. I remember when I locked myself out of my car in -15 degree weather, in the police station parking lot, and I didn't have a coat - but I still sat with it till the locksmith got there.

... I'm sure you guys can imagine how relieved I feel to have it in my driveway.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

YG - Change the radiator cap with the Ford one. They are 15 bucks. Over the life of my 06, I changed mine out twice. I don't know why, but they are crap and trust me, that's more likely your issue than anything else because my circumstances were EXACTLY the same.

If it's not the cap, you've only spent 15 bucks and assuming a blown head gasket, well screw it anyhow because that's pricey no matter what.

Just replace the cap.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Man, I doubt it was the outside temp. My car has been through 5 West Texas summers where it gets up to 110 in the shade and I drive it every day. No telling how hot it gets on asphalt. Last summer was over 100 every day for 4 months in a row. Car never heats up even idling in traffic with A/C full blast.

I'd stop guessing on a forum and take it to a professional, safer paying a bit now than alot later. Good luck!

Last edited by Ricardo; 07-03-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Man, I doubt it was the outside temp. My car has been through 5 West Texas summers where it gets up to 110 in the shade and I drive it every day. No telling how hot it gets on asphalt. Last summer was over 100 every day for 4 months in a row. Car never heats up even idling in traffic with A/C full blast.

I'd stop guessing on a forum and take it to a professional, safer paying a bit now than alot later. Good luck!
Like I said, it is going into a shop ASAP.

Calling the tow truck as soon as they open this morning.

Its on the way as we speak.

Now its off and on its way to the shop.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 07-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Anti Freeze EVERWHARR!!!