Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti Freeze EVERWHARR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Anti Freeze EVERWHARR!!!

Well, I was driving the car in traffic today after revving it a few times at the local hangout, and it died. I started it, drove some more (I wasn't far from where I was going) and it died again. I started it again, got to the destination, opened the hood, and anti freeze was boiling out of the cap. Oh, and the air intake had popped loose at the throttle body, which had to have happened recently, because the check engine light hadn't been on. It is now, throwing a lean code. Reflashing the PCM tomorrow.

My father came and we kept trying to get it on his trailer, but the car is too low and we gave up. We drove home in his truck and got a 5 gallon jug of water. Started the engine, poured about a half gallon of water in, re attached the intake, and decided to try driving it home - with the AC off this time. In 105 degree weather - I was sweating buckets - but oh well. Drove home just fine - temperature gauge stayed the same place the whole time, just below half.

Car isn't leaking or anything as it sits in the garage now, or at least not much. The reservoir still has fluid in it 4 hours later - isn't full but I think that's just because it took a bit for the engine to get the water cycling through it - so I assume it isn't leaking.

Did I just dodge a major bullet or am I still in the muck?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

Well when my car started to leak coolant like a faucet it turned out to be the reservoir cap and I just replaced it, but my car didn't die at all while this was going on
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the car overheated. Could be time to check the thermostat and ensure it opens at the proper temperate, as well as ensure you have flow via a good waterpump. Also make sure your fans are coming on to cool the radiator. It's possible that they're not, or not in high-mode with the AC on. You want to avoid overheating it too much, as metal parts can begin to warm, and headgaskets (as well as others) can blow out.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm lucky that my father started out as a radiator repairman. In fact, his old shop is still open, even though he sold the business to an employee. That shop is where everything started out.

We checked and checked, and everything was working just perfectly. I'm going to call this bullet dodged - knock on wood.

I'm thinking I might want to see about a high output water pump anyhow.

We've been breaking temperature records lately.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If the problem reoccurs with the temperature gauge indicating an overheat condition, and you've already followed up on the suggestions from Nyhm and siggyfreud, then the cause may be a combination of high ambient temps + heat from the A/C condensor + build up inside the radiator coolant tubes.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
If the problem reoccurs with the temperature gauge indicating an overheat condition, and you've already followed up on the suggestions from Nyhm and siggyfreud, then the cause may be a combination of high ambient temps + heat from the A/C condensor + build up inside the radiator coolant tubes.
It has hit over 100 degrees more than once in the past week.

We've had record high temperatures lately, and no measurable rain in over a month.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Uh.....maybe stop revving it so much? everytime I see you or pass you rev the damn thing to redline.

Last edited by CAR-15; 07-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
JimC

When my 2006 did that it was a blown head gasket. It only did it when it was very hot outside, the gauge always showed temp was fine and there was no coolant evidence in the oil.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CAR-15
Uh.....maybe stop revving it so much? everytime I see you or pass you rev the damn thing to redline.
Uhh, no. You've never heard my car at red line. EVER. I DO NOT rev my car all the way up. I have my rev limiter on the tune set lower than red line.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Well, I'm lucky that my father started out as a radiator repairman. In fact, his old shop is still open, even though he sold the business to an employee. That shop is where everything started out.
What does that last sentence mean? That you had the car at the radiator shop before the problem started? I've never heard of an intake just "popping loose". Was the radiator cap even twisted on all the way? If you refilled the coolant system and reattached the intake, and everything seems otherwise fine, it sounds like a case of forgetful mechanic syndrome.

BTW, you didn't mention which of your cars is the topic of this thread - the V6 or the V8.

Quick Reply: Anti Freeze EVERWHARR!!!