Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyl #1 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 AM
captain slow

Default Cyl #1 Misfire

Hi everyone,

The other day while merging on the highway under light throttle in 3rd gear, at about 3200 rpm I felt a dead spot, looked down and saw the check engine light flashing, so I let off, and the light went away and the car drove fine. When I got to work, I scanned it and it came back with two codes- one for multiple misfires, and one for cyl 1 misfire. No steady check engine light on... The car is bone stock and has 3100 miles on it (5.0 btw). I'd take it to the dealer, but I fear they wont do anything for me as the light isn't on but if you plug in a scanner the codes are there, I never erased them. So, does anyone have any idea of what it may be?

Thanks,
Danny
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

If you left the codes there, they can see them, and see there is a problem that needs addressing. Do yourself a favor, don't waste your time, or give them an excuse to get out of fixing this by doing anything. Could be a bad plug, COP, etc..

Definitely warranty work unless you note a COP that isn't seated right.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
captain slow

thanks, I guess I'll try the dealer, see what they say...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
konabluev6

I had the same problem. They replaced the coil for cyl. #3, drove her home.... same problem. Took her back, they put a new plug wire in..... that did it!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
captain slow

update. So, I got the flashing CEL again the other day, and made an appointment with the dealer to take a look at it this morning. I go in, they tell me there are no codes...When I scanned it the other day there were codes...in any case, they told me no codes nothing to fix and sent me on my way. Came home and scanned the car and found no codes, so either they cleared them or they somehow cleared themselves. This is weird and very annoying. What do I do now?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

It just comes down to being more forceful/insistent with them.

Unless they truly think you imagined the CEL, much like an imaginary friend at age 4(which I would have personally relayed to them) they should have at the very least asked you to bring it back in once the CEL showed back up.

It just comes down to them not wanting to do warranty work if it can be avoided.

Yes, misfires can be datalogged. I still wouldn't be doing jack of **** at this point, force who you bought it from to actually back it. You can stick your back-bone into them without being nasty/douchey.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I don't know much about those SCT Tuners except how to see a code, read a code or clear a code BUT.. toying with it I noticed a lot of ..um.. diagnostic? No.. um.. monitoring programs. Is there a way to monitor that and let it do whatever it does so you can print it out (so you have a hard uneraseable copy) and take it to the dealer? Just guesing.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

what a pain in the ***. take pictures of the codes you pull next time and bring them with you, just in case they pull that again.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
I don't know much about those SCT Tuners except how to see a code, read a code or clear a code BUT.. toying with it I noticed a lot of ..um.. diagnostic? No.. um.. monitoring programs. Is there a way to monitor that and let it do whatever it does so you can print it out (so you have a hard uneraseable copy) and take it to the dealer? Just guesing.
You can hook the SCT tuner to your laptop and using their software, datalog the car, so that would likely be the monitoring program you are referring to. However, that stuff is all greek to me so I'd be dumbfounded if I was looking at it.

Don
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Whoops..edited my previous post, rather than doing another. Anyhow, it was about diagnostic crap, the point of which, I wouldn't waste my time with.

Insist that they look into this in the most polite way you can while still demanding to get them to actually back the car. If they suck that bad, go elsewhere. I would never have called ahead for something this serious.
Telling you to take a number for a CEL issue on a new car bought from them tells me all I need to know...

Last edited by wayne613; 07-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cyl #1 Misfire