Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone chips on front of stang

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:07 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stone chips on front of stang

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Man I have already had my hood and front bumper repainted. My car is black and it shows more than other car colors. What made me angry was I thought it was excessive. I took it back to where my wife bought the car (it was a birthday present) and they said that it looked like I got behind a truck that severely damaged it. I was really upset and I complained to no avail. Anyway they repainted it. It looks so much better now but it has some damage here and there but nothing like it was. I mentioned this in my ford survey that they sent me. I love my car so much that I might have the hood repainted every year or two.

One thing now is I never let dirt and bird crap stay on my baby for long. I always carry baby clothe diapers and detailers with me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/76B04BFF9C4C4D2B93004C6F89ACF266.jpg[/IMG]
Especially on black. Dirt, bugs, bird can cook into our paint on a hot sunny day. I've already found a nice little blob where a bug died on my bumper, but when I wiped it, only the outline remained. Just picked up some NXT detailer and wax, I'll see how that works out.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:18 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i have a few small chips on my car. 2 on the hood and one on the right fender. when i wax my car you can barely tell. unless you cars black i wouldnt use touchup paint. a litle spot of paint sometimes shows up more than a chip
Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 AM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

You should check into the invisible bra. Why would you keep throwing money away to get your hood and bumper re-painted? The invisible bra can be applied for $400.The guy who paid $800 got thoroughly ripped -off . The actual material cost for your car is $175.00.Throw in the labor and your at $400. You get peace of mind.....and your front end isn't getting sandblasted from trucks and cars. It's your money.........
Old 09-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legend gt

You should check into the invisible bra. Why would you keep throwing money away to get your hood and bumper re-painted? The invisible bra can be applied for $400.The guy who paid $800 got thoroughly ripped -off . The actual material cost for your car is $175.00.Throw in the labor and your at $400. You get peace of mind.....and your front end isn't getting sandblasted from trucks and cars. It's your money.........
I highly doubt I got ripped off. Your point might actually carry some weight if you didn't already trash 3M and offer to install another brand. You might want to check out the vendor forum in the future. I would be highly skeptical of your $400.00 quote for "lifetime" protection....it's either low quality material or lower quality installation....here is the link to the 3M material. Let everyone make a educated decision on this instead of trashing something you obvisiouly don't know a whole lot about. My previous reply was not a 3M commercial but a endorsement on clear bra protection...regardless of brand. www.expel.com
Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 PM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

I was not trying to do a commercial for the film.Did it ever occur to you I have checked into these films physically? and just wanted to inform our fellow mustang people? I have installed all 3 films on cars. I know 3M has a good reputation on other products,but, this isn't one of them.The 3M rep told my supplier that they know they have problems with the film and that 3M is working on a better product due out this winter. I buy my film direct from the distributor.,(a friend works there)that's why I know the ACTUAL cost of the film. There is a huge mark-up on this film.It is sold by the square foot.And by the way 3M is only warranted for 5 years. Go to Stongard.com, see what crazy prices they have on the kit's. I checked into these film products thoroughly before getting into it as a business. The main thing for you is, it's done and you don't have to worry about your front-end. The other fellow that had his front-end repainted and want's to do it again and again is throwing his money away.And by the way sounds like the guy that put your film on has "installation" training to do. 6 hours???
Old 09-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

I was waxing mine and I saw a small one on my bumper. You can't help to get them.
I'm not worried, I know this guy, a friend of the family, who owns his own garage a few minutes away from my house. He does everything, from engine repair to body/painting. He also builds Mustangs. He built him and his friends Mustangs for show and racing at the racetrack.
You know when you bought the 2005 Mustang it has an orange peel effect in the paint. I might in time have him wet sand it and buff it out to have that mirror look. I am always checking on my Mustang. Never to careful. I say, if you don't need to stand by it or touch it then don't. Why do people have to put there hands on your car? You know what I mean, people with rings,watches, belt buckles or keys in their hands. So far since I bought it back in June, I have my wife and our 6 year old son trained on opening and closing the doors. Also sitting in the car without touching things. I tell them that I am the pilot and I will touch what needs to be touched. Just sit there.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Johnnytuinals
2nd Gear Member

I used to travel to NYC everyday from Pa.and after I had my 2003 Stang Gt for 2 weeks someone in front of me hit a retread from one of the trucks,and it hit my Light and broke the damm thing.Cost to replace and repair was around $450..
I used to use my 1995,2000 and 2003 Stang Gts as comutter cars.I always hit something going to the city a few times a year at 4am ....Now I am retired and got my 2006 Stang Gt so really theres no rush to go anywhere,and always wayyyyy behind trucks.I am trying to keep this car in one peace since i don't neeed to drive 200 miles a day...Always make sure that I get the bugs off my car before i am done for the day lol.....JohnnyT
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legend gt

I have an invisible bra on my GT. I will tell you it's the only way to go! You have three options: continue to drive your GT and let it get sandblasted or get one of those ugly black bra's that scratch your paint or....have an invisible bra installed.I am a trained installer of the invisible bra's. There are 3 different materials out there,3M,Venture and Llumar.3M is absolutely the WORST material.It has a ton of orange peel and is only warranted for 5 years. It is also the hardest to apply. It should only take 3 hours to do the GT kit. Venture is the best film out there today. The venture kit also does the headlights and fog lights. ,a plus because the headlights take a beating. If any of you are in central Ohio I'd be glad to do your car, or just email me with questions. Remember,the paint on these new car's is junk(thank your EPA). The paint protection film has a bunch of pluses to it.
where are you and how much do you charge?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:16 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Legent GT how do I go about finding some one in Illinois (suburb of Chicago) to install a Venture Bra? Would ya know any one or a place where I can get it done here in Illinois?

TIA
Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM
WHLJCK

I can get one installed for 550 here in Norther California. The paint is water based so it is not as tough as the paint of old.

Quick Reply: Stone chips on front of stang