Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI questions, steeda vs. jlt

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
SirJAG

Default CAI questions, steeda vs. jlt

So I have been considering a CAI for some time now. And before I get into my questions let me say I have been reading this forum and others for some time and I have not been able to locate the information I am seeking. I was hoping someone with personal experience could chime in. Car is 2012 GT with gt500 mufflers and BAMA 93H tune (after about 3 sessions of data logging and sending files in for adjustments. I didn’t have any issues with the tunes, just wanted to make sure I was as safe as can be) here goes:

1- Looking at the JLT CAI and the Steeda I notice that the JLT does not link up with the rectangular duct near the front grill but the steeda does. It seems to me that the steeda is a better choice here as obviously the "colder" air is coming from outside the car, and engine bay air is going to be some portion of the incoming air with the JLT version. So my question here is, does that make a difference? Or once the car is moving is the bay temp and outside temps pretty close?

2- The quality of the Steeda looks superior. I got the chance to install a JLT CAI with the boss intake and TB kit this past weekend on a friend’s car and the JLT kit are all plastic. The Steed is metal. Does anyone know how this comes into play performance wise? Seems to me the metal is going to get hotter and stay hotter for much longer than the plastic JLT. But the metal will probably hold up better to a thousand heat cycles. Any opinions on this or firsthand experience?

3- Now on to gains. I already have the tune, so has anyone dyno’ed their car that already has a tune and compared results post CAI installed (talking about only steeda/JLT intake kits that REQUIRE a tune). From my research most people are of the opinion that the largest gains come from the tune, not the CAI. Well seeing as I already have a tune, what are the kinds of gains one can expect by adding the CAI? Looking at websites like American muscle they all compare a stock car to a tuned/intake car. So that comparison is not really what I am looking for.

4- What can I expect after installing the CAI as far as daily driving goes? I would like feedback on what if any change in MPG anyone had, throttle response and so forth. Not too concerned with peak numbers, but I would like a more responsive midrange. I test drove my buddies car after we installed his kit and the only difference I could tell was the sound the intake made, but again that’s not really valid because I don’t drive his car enough to notice the changes, and he already had full exhaust and a tune on the car prior to putting in the boss kit.

I want to close by saying recently at the track I ran a guy with a 12 brembo car w/ 3.73 gears, axle backs, tune and steeda CAI. His best was 12.8 @ 112mph 60ft @ 2.1. My 12 car with axle backs, 3.55 and tune only was 12.9 @111 60ft @ 2.1. both with stock tires for respective models. This tells me CAI didn’t add much at all if anything. But again, would like some feedback on the drivability and throttle responsiveness post upgrade. And remember, I already have the tune so looking for firsthand experience from someone who was in my shoes so to speak.

Thanks for your time everyone,
JAG
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirJAG
So I have been considering a CAI for some time now. And before I get into my questions let me say I have been reading this forum and others for some time and I have not been able to locate the information I am seeking. I was hoping someone with personal experience could chime in. Car is 2012 GT with gt500 mufflers and BAMA 93H tune (after about 3 sessions of data logging and sending files in for adjustments. I didn’t have any issues with the tunes, just wanted to make sure I was as safe as can be) here goes:

1- Looking at the JLT CAI and the Steeda I notice that the JLT does not link up with the rectangular duct near the front grill but the steeda does. It seems to me that the steeda is a better choice here as obviously the "colder" air is coming from outside the car, and engine bay air is going to be some portion of the incoming air with the JLT version. So my question here is, does that make a difference? Or once the car is moving is the bay temp and outside temps pretty close?
It'll make very little difference; so little that it would be tough to detect it on back-to-back dyno pulls. It would get lost in the dyno's variance, IMO.

2- The quality of the Steeda looks superior. I got the chance to install a JLT CAI with the boss intake and TB kit this past weekend on a friend’s car and the JLT kit are all plastic. The Steed is metal. Does anyone know how this comes into play performance wise? Seems to me the metal is going to get hotter and stay hotter for much longer than the plastic JLT. But the metal will probably hold up better to a thousand heat cycles. Any opinions on this or firsthand experience?
I can't speak for the JLT but the Steeda on my 4.6L is very high quality.

3- Now on to gains. I already have the tune, so has anyone dyno’ed their car that already has a tune and compared results post CAI installed (talking about only steeda/JLT intake kits that REQUIRE a tune). From my research most people are of the opinion that the largest gains come from the tune, not the CAI. Well seeing as I already have a tune, what are the kinds of gains one can expect by adding the CAI? Looking at websites like American muscle they all compare a stock car to a tuned/intake car. So that comparison is not really what I am looking for.
I haven't seen tune vs CAI & tune data on the 5.0 but by all other indications, the 5.0 responds to a CAI & tune much like the 4.6L does. With that said, I'd expect to see an additional 8-12 RWHP with CAI and revised tune on a 5.0 but that's just my 2 cents.

4- What can I expect after installing the CAI as far as daily driving goes? I would like feedback on what if any change in MPG anyone had, throttle response and so forth. Not too concerned with peak numbers, but I would like a more responsive midrange. I test drove my buddies car after we installed his kit and the only difference I could tell was the sound the intake made, but again that’s not really valid because I don’t drive his car enough to notice the changes, and he already had full exhaust and a tune on the car prior to putting in the boss kit.
You won't see any change in fuel mileage unless, of course, your lead foot is a result of wanting to feel the few additional HP.

I want to close by saying recently at the track I ran a guy with a 12 brembo car w/ 3.73 gears, axle backs, tune and steeda CAI. His best was 12.8 @ 112mph 60ft @ 2.1. My 12 car with axle backs, 3.55 and tune only was 12.9 @111 60ft @ 2.1. both with stock tires for respective models. This tells me CAI didn’t add much at all if anything. But again, would like some feedback on the drivability and throttle responsiveness post upgrade. And remember, I already have the tune so looking for firsthand experience from someone who was in my shoes so to speak.

Thanks for your time everyone,
JAG
See above responses in red.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
SirJAG

thanks for the reply my friend. happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Same to you!

And after rethinking the gains with the CAI & tune vs just a tune, I keep forgetting that the 5.0 stock intake breathes better than the stock 4.6L so I'll knock that down a smidgen to 5-10 RWHP.

Last edited by Nuke; 07-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I am going with the steeda, it just looks like a higher quality piece to me. after all, the intake barely provides gains and it's mostly in the tune.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

One of the Steeda guys did a thread around here somewhere comparing 3 of the major intakes. Do some searching and I'm sure you'll find it.

I love my Steeda.