Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lights, etc. are NOT on a timer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Default What lights, etc. are NOT on a timer?

I'm trying to figure out what lights and accessories could run the battery down if they are left on. A lot of lights are on timers, but some are not. I think I know, but I'm not sure. Any info would be appreciated.

I think the following are NOT on timers.
Emergency flashers.
Map lights if they were turned on by using the dimmer control.
Anything plugged into either of the power ports.
Any others?

I am making the supposition that the parasitic draw from the computers does not exceed 50 mA, and that the subwoofers are either shutting off when you open the door, or you are shutting off the radio with the power button.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
BearKats15
1st Gear Member

What are you trying to do? All of the fuses under the hood are always running and it has fuses to some lights so look in your manual. You'll probably want to look in the fuses that are in the passenger kick panel. Many fuses in there are to dome lights and high beams or low beams and such which turn off with car unlike the lights wired with the fuses inside the hood
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I would just like to know what I might do that would cause the battery to run down. The information for the timing used by the SJB to turn lights off after a certain period of time is all over the place--some is in the Owner's Guide and some is in the Workshop Manual. Trying to figure out what the SJB does, even looking at the Wiring Diagrams manual, is a mystery to me. For example, I think that using the dimmer switch to turn on the map lights does not cause the SJB to turn them off after a period of time, but using the individual buttons to turn on the map lights does have a timer to turn them off. But I'm not sure.

It would be nice if all the information as to what is not controlled by the SJB's timers were in one place, but I have yet to find any such place.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Flashers are indeed on a timer, seemed like about 45 minutes or so based on experience.

I know there were some faulty shaker head units that drew too much power and caused dead batteries if they were not turned off, mines not like that, but...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Trunk light will not shut off automatically. Was showing at a car show this last weekend with hood/trunk open and after close to an hour the trunk light still wasn't off. Had to flip the lever up (so it would think it's closed) to get it to turn off.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

First, thanks for the responses.
Second, I guess there could be differences from MY to MY.

danzcool--Interesting. There's nothing like personal observation. I guessed the hazard flashers were not on a timer because of the following in the Owner's Guide. "Note: With extended use, the flasher may run down your battery." I have not found anything specific in the manuals one way or the other about a timer.

bigblue95z--From personal observation, my trunk lamp turns off if the trunk is left open for more than 30 minutes. Also, my Owner's Guide says, under Locks and Security, Illuminated entry, "The battery saver will also shut off the trunk lamps in 30 minutes if the trunk is left open." Well, it's illuminated entry for your luggage.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
danzcool--Interesting. There's nothing like personal observation. I guessed the hazard flashers were not on a timer because of the following in the Owner's Guide. "Note: With extended use, the flasher may run down your battery." I have not found anything specific in the manuals one way or the other about a timer.
You know, it's weird, I would have expected the flashers to run until there is no more battery since they are a safety thing, but they certainly did turn off after a while... nothing like waiting for a tow truck in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday evening.