Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Officially sorry I bought this car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
LKA88

Default Officially sorry I bought this car

I have a 2008 convertible and today I am officially sorry that I bought this car. I love the looks, I love driving it but it has been nothing but trouble. It is on it's 3rd top. The first was replaced because of a design flaw, the second because the dealership doesn't know how to install one right. While still under warranty there was a problem with one of the hydraulic arms that luckily I didn't have to pay for. A couple months ago I needed a new top motor at the cost of $798. Last week I took it in because of paint bubbling under the hood and along the front edge. There is also bubbling on the inside of the trunk. Today I was told that Ford won't do anything about it. I swore off GM vehicles because they don't stand behind their product, now I will never buy another Ford. Looks like its back to horse & buggy.

Sorry, just had to vent to someone who would understand.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I can understand your frustrations, I've had the same issues with another car/brand, but unfortunately that's how it sometimes goes.

The top issues were party to blame on the dealer who did your instal, though a motor failing so soon out of warranty would make me boil.

The paint bubbling under the hood edge is a known problem with these aluminum hoods, but they don't tend to get beyond the bottom to a point where they are visible. The trunk, I've haven't seen yet.

No matter what you buy, sometimes you have to roll with the punches. Unfortunately, out of warranty, you cant do anything about them unless you want to pay for it yourself.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Im sorry you're upset and I understand your frustration but all cars have their flaws dont know much about the issues with the convertables but my hood also had the bubbling issue it was bad, it even spread to the top of my hood I hated it it irritated me so bad but I love my car I bought a Fiberglass hood that will never corrode problem solved.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I think you should take it to a different Ford dealership. I know from going in that, the ones here by me.. at Hidy Ford in Beavercreek seemed pretty damn proud to be working on Fords.

When it comes to tops though, you are better off taking it to an expert. No idea where you are but if you are close to Cincinnati, theres a company there that is absolutely almost crazy because of how much effort they put into making it perfect. I will never take my car anywhere else and it's almost a 1 1/2 hour drive to them. Fisher Griffin is their name.

As for the bubbling.. it's a known issue. Every car is going to have it's own unique issues be it Ford, Chevy, GM, BMW, Audi, etc.. Just get a fiberglass hood and carry on..

Lastly, sorry man.

EDIT: You could also check Ebay for people selling their hoods because they bought an aftermarket one. Or a junk yard for a car that got totalled in a sideswipe or rear hit.

Last edited by xkape; 07-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

List the dealership name...and find a new dealer!!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

One of the reasons why I'm not fond of convertibles. It's across the board for auto makers, the more bell and whistles, the more there is a chance for things to go wrong.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but you do have to consider all the work and money Ford put into your vehicle to fix the problem. Unfortunately there are good and bad dealerships and the work they do. It was just bad luck that you got the rotten apple of the bunch, this again, applies to all auto makers. Such is the flaw of mass production.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
LKA88

Advantage Ford in Fremont, OH. The top has always been the point of contention and this bubbling is what has put me over the edge. Whenever I walk up to my car it is now the first thing I see and it's driving me crazy.

I have argued with the dealership that the top still isn't installed correctly. It doesn't go down as far as the original, it sometimes rattles when it's up and you hit a bump. A different dealership told me that there was an adjustment that needs to be made but the purchasing dealer says no. I can't afford to make all these repairs myself because of recent health issues in the family eating up all the extra cash.

All things considered, I still love the look of the car and love driving it which makes this that much harder.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

So you're not going to buy another Ford because they won't fix a bubbling paint on the lip of your hood? I understand the frustration of the vert top but with logic like that it looks like you will swear off ever automobile maker eventually. Unfortunately things like this happen. A few bubbles in the paint under the lip of your hood isn't going to effect the reliability of the vehicle. Not too mention, aftermarket hoods look better anyways For what it's worth I hope you can find a fix for these issues and truly enjoy the vehicle like most of us do. I would def. take it to a different dealer because they don't seem to have a clue.

Call Brondes Ford in Toledo...they have good reviews from what I've gathered.

Last edited by bakerjd; 07-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

LKA88.. if you can handle the drive.. http://www.fishergriffinco.com/ You will never have a top issue again. I can pretty much guarantee it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LKA88
I have a 2008 convertible and today I am officially sorry that I bought this car. I love the looks, I love driving it but it has been nothing but trouble. It is on it's 3rd top. The first was replaced because of a design flaw, the second because the dealership doesn't know how to install one right. While still under warranty there was a problem with one of the hydraulic arms that luckily I didn't have to pay for. A couple months ago I needed a new top motor at the cost of $798. Last week I took it in because of paint bubbling under the hood and along the front edge. There is also bubbling on the inside of the trunk. Today I was told that Ford won't do anything about it. I swore off GM vehicles because they don't stand behind their product, now I will never buy another Ford. Looks like its back to horse & buggy.

Sorry, just had to vent to someone who would understand.
Yes, you're not likely to find a manufacturer that stands behinds its products the way it should when something goes wrong. But I wouldn't want to stand behind your horse.

Quick Reply: Officially sorry I bought this car