Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Up here in the frozen Tundra known as Canada, yes, we have DRL's. Yet, TPMS is not a really big deal. Personally, I believe DRL's have their good and bad sides to them.
As a former Driving instructor, I told every student to turn ON your headlights as it not only is for the headlights but also the tail lights which of course, DRL's don't do.
DRL's give people the false sense that their headlights are on at night. Many times I have seen people driving along with their DRL on but no tail light, no marker lights... Seriously, how can you drive with out dash lighting as well??
IF you want DRL's in your vehicle, I am sure there is a module that you can get at one of your local Auto shops (PEP Boys or Autozone or whatever) and you can install it. Here in Canada, a car imported from another country without DRL's must have the module installed in order for us to be able to register the vehicle.
On the other hand, I am trying to figure out what headlights I can buy that are compatible with DRL's without going through a huge wiring change or removing the plexiglass front of the headlight. Any thoughts?

Happy Motoring!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xenocide
They started addding them standard on the 2012 model year.
Not necessarily true... I have a 2012 and I DON'T have DRL's... I have the automatic lights, but that is based on the light sensor on the dash.

Don
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I hate DRL. they don't do anything but burn your headlights out quicker.
when its daytime, there's this big light that lights up the earth, its called the sun.
here's an idea: if you want DRL..........turn your lights on!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

DRL's are for eurotrash wann-be's and japaricers...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think it was fleet cars that could be had with DRL in the USA.

I wouldn't want DRL on any car, for any reason. I'm smart enough to use the switch in a manner appropriate to conditions (I also have some history of motorcycle riding) and to know that I don't need extraneous lighting to feel good about my cars.

TPMS is a slightly different story - a big part of why it's there is because of the Explorer/Firestone/lowest-common-denominator-driver episode a few years back, and the regulators weren't sharp enough to officially recognize that the dynamics of an SUV differ a bit from a proper "car". Don't like this one either, and I'll just leave it at that at least for now.

It's sad that people are getting so indoctrinated to the concept of not being personally responsible for their own safety that ever-greater regulation becomes expected. Dare I use the term "brainwashed"?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

DRL just never fit the Mustang image. The 05-09 s197 had a simple interior to keep with the retro feel. The mustang is a muscle down to earth car, not a luxury performance car but people's wants and demands made Ford think more than twice about adding in features and creature comforts from '10 +
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
MiniD

I haven't seen a 2013 mustang that didn't have them. They're LEDs, but they're still intended to be DTRLs.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
DRL just never fit the Mustang image. The 05-09 s197 had a simple interior to keep with the retro feel. The mustang is a muscle down to earth car, not a luxury performance car but people's wants and demands made Ford think more than twice about adding in features and creature comforts from '10 +
thissss
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I don't care for DRL's either. I don't want tacky GM amber lights on all the time. Those out-of-place LED running lights that basically all manufacturers have taken on are tacky too. As much as I dislike Audi, they were the ones to bring them to popularity, and they are pretty much the only cars that can pull them off without looking like cheap garbage. The few cars that incorporate them into the headlight can pull it off. The new mustangs look good with them.. and the new Mercedes CLS too.

Most manufacturers have just thrown them into the bumper or something and it looks like ****. I could have done a better job with a dremel and some $5 ebay led's. Example: Mercedes E class failure.

That crap is awful.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Most manufacturers have just thrown them into the bumper or something and it looks like ****. I could have done a better job with a dremel and some $5 ebay led's. Example: Mercedes E class failure.

That crap is awful.
wow, that is total fail. Shame on Mercedes

Quick Reply: Why no daytime running lights?