Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no daytime running lights?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
DRLs are far more important than rear lights because of the closing speeds between your vehicle and the vehicle coming at you (120MPH if both vehicles are traveling 60 MPH each). If somebody is coming up behind you, their closing speed is likely less than 20MPH. DRLs make you more visible to oncoming traffic and will alert a distracted driver earlier and possibly avoid an accident (reaction time is increased).

I personally dislike DRLs that utilize the low beam headlights, but I think the LEDs that are coming out on all vehicles look pretty cool in most cases.

BTW, I will run with my running lights and HID fogs on if visibility is an issue.
I hear you, but 99% of my driving is on the Freeway, nobody coming at me, plenty of people braking late behind me. For the rare times I am on the street, I do have my fogs on.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Not necessarily true... I have a 2012 and I DON'T have DRL's... I have the automatic lights, but that is based on the light sensor on the dash.

Don
+1
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM
danglin

Originally Posted by ghunt
I was thinking about this earlier, and have wondered for years...Howcome Ford has never put daytime running lights on the Mustang when they seem to be on about 90% of the other cars on the road produced since 2000 or so? Even GM had them on the 4th-gen Camaro and Firebird (don't recall off the top of my head if they're on the new Camaros) even though they were those weird super-bright parking lights that GM seems to like using.

Just curious
They are probably just not "activated". I believe they all have the capability. I know that i have seen Ford Order Guides that list DRL as a Fleet option on every guide I have seen. In the past, my salesman has told me that it is simply a matter of "activated" by the service department. They would probably charge you...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I am guilty of skipping thru..

I dont get these things, I mean what the point. We have a light in the daytime. Its called the sun. Its bigger than this entire frigging planet and is so bright you are not supposed to look directly at it for fear of burning your retina. How much more light do you need in the daytime? I mean seriously, in the apex of the day, i couldnt tell if your lights were on or not.. its already so bright i am wearing sunglasses.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by ghunt
I was thinking about this earlier, and have wondered for years...Howcome Ford has never put daytime running lights on the Mustang when they seem to be on about 90% of the other cars on the road produced since 2000 or so? Even GM had them on the 4th-gen Camaro and Firebird (don't recall off the top of my head if they're on the new Camaros) even though they were those weird super-bright parking lights that GM seems to like using.

Just curious
They weren't on the 4th gen Firebird. I had a 1999 TransAm - and the headlights are the flip up type on the Firebirds. No DRL with that set up and on my TransAm the foglights didn't come on as DRL either.

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I think the 2013's LEDs in the headlight casing are DRL? If so, I think they look pretty cool... Seems like all manufacturers are adding LEDs to cars these days.
The bars only light up when the headlights are on so no DRL on this side of the border. Anytime the headlights are on though the led bars light up so you can tell it is a 2013 Mustang coming up from behind you.

Originally Posted by xenocide
They started adding them standard on the 2012 model year.
No, only on the north side of the border. Canada has required them for years, but on this side of the border it isn't turned on. So not really 'standard' on the 2012 because since 2005 the Mustangs in Canada have had the option activated, and on this side it isn't.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
MiniD

Originally Posted by JimC
The bars only light up when the headlights are on so no DRL on this side of the border. Anytime the headlights are on though the led bars light up so you can tell it is a 2013 Mustang coming up from behind you.
Mine come on any time the car is on as long as the parking brake isn't on. I've seen several on the highway with only the LEDs on. Don't recall seeing one in Oregon where they weren't on.

Last edited by MiniD; 07-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM
JimC

I've had mine for only 2 weeks, but the only time they light up is when I hit the lock/unlock or the headlights are on.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Driving manuals tell you to turn on your headlights when you are passing on a single lane road. DRL is doing the same effect, it helps in possibly alerting oncoming traffic that there is someone there. Can't say how effective it is, but it's a safety feature. There are lots of narrow country roads out here in Indiana, you have no idea how many people wreck and die from stupidity and crossing the lines, DRL is a possibility that may save your life one day.

I have the option to turn it off on my VW touareg. We leave it on.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM
MiniD

Originally Posted by JimC
I've had mine for only 2 weeks, but the only time they light up is when I hit the lock/unlock or the headlights are on.
So, it sounds like something that is available, but might have to be configured to whatever someone prefers.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure it's a SJB-controlled feature (read: dealership service dep't).

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why no daytime running lights?