Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!?!? S-H-E-L-B-Y lettering

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
swahler1

Okay so here's the new game plan.
I tried the Goo Gone, scrubbed away and even let it sit while I watched a movie. The dried adhesive wasn't even remotely softer. Hair drier, compound, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, soap water, nothing is loosening it. I got a straight edge blade and was able to slightly scrape some of the thickness of the glue, BUT also peeled into the vinyl it self, so that's a no go.
so what I am going to to is buy the gt500 lettering like how i wanted and instead of to be spacing it out like how the 500 is, its only going to be spaced out over where the original Shelby gt lettering was to cover the residue of the glue and minor vinyl scrapes.
How do you think that will look guys?
Its pretty much my only option till I find the extra cash to tear off that **** vinyl and paint on some quality stripes like I want.

Xkape was saying that since i used Goo b gone that nothing will stick because it kills the bonding element. Is placing new letters over where the old ones are going to be a problem??
Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

use goo gone... that's what i did... pour it on there and let it soak for a little bit... then pour some more on and let it soak for 5 mins... the more coats you pour the easier it is to come off... i found that out the hard way grrr...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM
swahler1

Alright Ill give it another shot. I'm thinking about just reusing the SGT letters i have and sticking them back on with 3m VHB. I figured that when i apply the gt500 letters over the SGT letters you will be able to see the glue behind in certain areas, because the gt500 letters are wider. Specifically on the "H" and "L" I think i would have problems.

Btw, Danny, I could of sworn I have seen that black on black 500 in the pic, "that exact same pic" somewhere for sale, I'm sure it was a fraud ad because I remember the asking price was like 20K..

just letting you know!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Try a clay bar maybe? It removes damn near everything else.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I usually use GooGone or a rubbing compound to get excess glue/residue leftover from my emblems off my paint.