Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!?!? S-H-E-L-B-Y lettering

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
swahler1

Default HELP!?!? S-H-E-L-B-Y lettering

I decided to remove the SHELBY lettering from my trunk on the SGT, clean the vinyl and replace the lettering with the spaced gt500 lettering. I was able to get the letters off and the glue came off the paint with ease, but the few letters that were stuck on the vinyl stripe part left this really strong glue that wont come off. I tried some soap and water, WD-40, compound and even vinyl cleaner and its really stubborn adhesive and won't budge.
Any Ideas?!?!? THANKS!

I tried to upload some pics but I can't get it working. Ill email them if it helps
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

glue? usually it's just adhesive that comes off pretty easily with a little bit of goo gone and elbow grease. it may help to warm it up with a heatgun/blow dryer as well.

what was your process for removing the letters?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

+1 goo-gone is your friend along with some elbow grease. Should come right off.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

+1 for Googone
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

id try a heat gun
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM
swahler1

I used a hair dryer for about 15 seconds each letter and then some floss took the letters right off. and the glue/adhesive under the letters is what remains.
I just got back from home depot with some Goof off and IT NEARLY BURNED MY STRIPES! I tried a little and it seemed to get rid of the glue but left a slight burn mark, hopefully when I put the 500 letters over it will cover because I only used a little bit on the "B". I even tried a little Goof off under the trunk lid on the bumper and yes it did leave a little burn mark in the stripe.

So before home depot closes, Is it safe to go back and try the Goo Gone on the stripes? I only got the Goof off because it seemed stronger for this tough adhesive, but it only made things worse.

I have the matte silver vinyl stripes if its any help, should the Goo Gone be safer?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

sorry, that I can't answer. are the stripes vinyl or painted on?

either way, goo gone is relatively tame .. maybe test it in a hard to see area first.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM
swahler1

They are the sliver stick on matte vinyl stripes that were put on the 2007-2008 Shelby gt. I tried the Goof off and ended up taking off the glue but it burnt the vinyl stripes a little, so I'm considering getting the regular Goo Gone and trying it instead with a hair drier to loosen up the adhesive.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

goo b gone is you enemy.. sorry man. Nothing is going to stick in the place you used that stuff. I dont know what the hell it does but it completely kills the bonding element.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

If you still have more to do and don't want to harm future vinyl replacements, go get yourself 3m part number 07498. Its a Stripe off wheel. Basically, its an eraser that wont harm your paint. You stick it on your power drill and go to town. In fact, I just did it tonight and in 5 minutes everything was gone gone gone from my hood scoop. Took it all off, vinyl letters, adhesive, all of it.

Quick Reply: HELP!?!? S-H-E-L-B-Y lettering