Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end slop

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default rear end slop

I used the search engine but wasn't able to come up with much.

Here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktah...ature=youtu.be

We are measuring about 5/16" in slop between the flange and the wheels.

IOW with the brake on and the car in neutral the flange spins approx. that amount. With the brake also on but with the car in 1st there is only about 1/32" of play.

Informed opinions please. Is this a problem?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That's how mine feels. I've been meaning to mount my gopro under the car focused on the drive shaft and rear end. Mine makes a bunch of clicks and pops when coming to a stop, steering wheel turned slightly and clutch disengaged. It's been that way for a long time. Seems weird that it doesn't do it with the wheels straight.

I've considered putting the stock shaft back in to see if the noises go away, but that's a lot of work on my back.

Is this the stock rear end or did you have someone install gears? Duh! I see you have 4.10's like me.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yep I have a set of 4.10 that were installed by a driveline shop a few years ago. My car has always clunked out of the rear as long as I can remember. It's real noisy going up into my driveway especially if out of gear.

Trouble is I never bothered to check this until now. It might have been like this pre gear install but I just don't know.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I think the slop is normal and so is the noisiness with no load on the drive line, even with a 1 piece shaft. I assume my noises when turning slightly, at slow speed, with no load on the drive line is from the differential. Anything else I'd expect noise in a straight line as well. One of these days I will have a trutrac installed and know for sure.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I just had a truetrac installed and asked my installer about the slop in my DS. He said it was normal. From watching your video I would say mine is slightly less. If your getting the "one tire fire" and some grinding when during burnouts from a stop, then your diff is toast.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I get no whirring, whining, or howling. No grinding. The only thing I get is a clunk.

I've been over most of the suspension already to check for loose fasteners, replaced the upper and the mount, and have a 1 pc ds. The clunk out of the rear persists.

We checked the ujoints, they are fine. We grabbed the flange and tried hard to test for wobble and fore/back but couldn't detect anything. The only thing we see is this slop some or all of which is normal. Looks like moose has similar amounts of play in his.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

That sucks riptide. Do you track you car much? What are your times?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Tracked it a few times. Nothing since putting the blower on. It's been a clunker out of the rear as long as I can remember. I think it was like this when I got it but I can't remember for sure. Previous owner had the car for 4500 miles. Who knows what he did or didn't do to it.

I guess the only way to be certain there isn't something wrong is to crack the cover. Unless I hear from people "Wow that is WAY to much slop something has to be wrong" I'm inclined to let it go for now.

Track times are terrible up here because of the altitude. I barely got this car into the 13s and trapped 100 after doing cai/tune and gears. Sixty foot was 2.0 on street tires. No power shifting.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Here is an 8.8 with a 3.27 gearset. Way less slop present and it was done the same way I tested mine with the car in neutral and the parking brake set.

I heard that shorter gearsets like 4.10 might increase the slop present but what a contrast. His barely moves more than a few degrees.

I may be taking this thing in after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1d7...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Ain't that all backlash??? Unless you have a Detroit Locker in it.. that's waaaaay excessive..

Quick Reply: rear end slop