Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rims and tires; advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default New rims and tires; advice

My pirelli pzero tread is starting to run low. I need new tires, although I have a budget. I'd love to have new rims and tires (preferably the black 18in. saleen style wheels) although I cant find anything under a grand. Anyone have any suggestions to good rim/ tires bargains online? let me know your opinions!
-Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Is 1k your budget?

Discount tire direct has some stuff in your budget range, but it doesn't look to good. I looked on late model restoration and american muscle. AM has some stuff that would come close with the forum discount, but not sure what's in stock.

Element wheels has some stuff also, but just over 1k.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

up your budget a couple hundred dollars and sell your current wheels to recoup.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

1k for rims and tires. thats a tough one man. I roll with Cooper RS3's. (www.roushperformance.com) Dunno the 18" cost but it has to be cheaper than the 259 a tire for 20's. Grip is insane. No loudness from the tire, can't even spin them at the track.. sticky as hell. I highly recommend them.

To be sure, I avoidded the water box.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

As far as tires I would recommend Nitto 555 they are great tires and there price just makes them that much better.

I dont believe your gonna find the wheels like you want with tires for under 1500
Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
My pirelli pzero tread is starting to run low. I need new tires, although I have a budget. I'd love to have new rims and tires (preferably the black 18in. saleen style wheels) although I cant find anything under a grand. Anyone have any suggestions to good rim/ tires bargains online? let me know your opinions!
-Thanks
JayBeStangs94,

We can set you up with a Saleen wheel/tire package pretty close to your budget, with the help of our MustangForums discount! After the 6% discount you're looking at a Staggered 18" Saleen wheel package, with Sumitomo tires, mounted & balanced, and free shipping for only $1,076.29!

Not sure if you already have the discount code or not, so I just PM'd you with it anyways. I hope this makes your decision easier, and fits your budget!

Also, anyone else who has over 50+ posts, feel free to PM me and I'll hook you up with our MustangForums discount, as well!

Shane
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Budget? You'll want the Eagle F1 supercar tires, check out tirerack and compare their prices with a few others. My car came with some Eagle's that had like 10% tread left so there was no grip or traction, so can't really review them. But some reviewers would say it has OK grip but not so great in rain. Eagle F1's came stock with GT500, not sure if the newest ones still do.

I went with the Yokohama Advan S because so many great reviews, very grippy and still get great traction in rain, for about $300 more total. I cant remember exactly but I think a set of Eagle's would've ran around $700 but my Yokohamas were a little over a grand. They have stickiest compound without being drag radials. I most got them cause i'm blown so must have grip.

GT500 tires are 255-45-18 front, 285-40-18 back, same as mine.

edit: that AM deal above me is a steal.. but questionable tires...

Last edited by Jas5; 07-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
edit: that AM deal above me is a steal.. but questionable tires...
I know a few people who personally have run them, and love them. They're what I will be buying when I drop the money instead of buying Nittos right away. Once they wear out, I will move to Nittos.

That being said, I'm very surprised no one's recommended the Sumitomo's off AM. For $140 a piece, I think it's a no brainer for a small budget.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

You never can go wrong with a set of gt500 take off's imo.
A set always is selling on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-Ford-M...204125&vxp=mtr
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
As far as tires I would recommend Nitto 555 they are great tires and there price just makes them that much better.
Nitto 555 are summer tires. Depending on if the OP has a separate set for winter or where they live in CA.

I have Nitto 555's and they are OK but could be better. When these wear out, I will go with something else. I was a little disappointed with them the other day when they should of gripped and they didn't. Perfect hot dry summer day too and they don't have too many miles on them.

Quick Reply: New rims and tires; advice