Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do i need to replace slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
05StangZz
1st Gear Member

Default What do i need to replace slave cylinder?

I know i need to remove the tranny. I would like to do it myself and save about 450 bucks in labor. I have someone who said they will let me do it/and help me at his place, even if it took a couple weekends. I just want to know what I am getting myself into if i do this myself.
I have heard you had to remove the K-member, and also that you had to turn the tranny 45 degrees. Last time i did a tranny removal was on my 87 stang 2.3L and it was easy enough.
If anyone has any links on How To's. Video would be awesome!
And if anyone is in the Manchester NH area who knows what the heck he is doing and would wanna maybe help hit me up lol.
Any and all input would be appreciated.

On side note, I am also replacing the Flywheel with a RAM steel flywheel. And a FRPP pilot bearing is being installed. The clutch is new as of last summer. And I may as well do the rear main seal.
Not doing shifter for now.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If the rear main seal isn't leaking, then don't touch it. All you really need is the new slave and some hand tools. You don't need to remove the K member, just the transmission cross member. Do you have a transmission jack? It's a must IMO. This transmission is heavy.

Turning the transmission 45 degrees helps clear the transmission tunnel, but it's not absolutely necessary.

It's just a hassle on these cars. You have to unbolt the shifter, then the drive shaft, then the starter. Pay close attention when removing the transmission bolts. There are two which are longer than the others, be sure to put them back where they came out. Removing and connecting the hydraulic line is a pain. you need to reach up there with a long flat blade screw driver to pull the clip out. Have something ready to cap the hydraulic line. I used the tapered top of a royal purple gear oil bottle. Just push it on and put a piece of duct tape over it to hold it.

I've done it twice, on my back, it sucks.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I've done it twice, on my back, it sucks.
Ditto. This is by far the worst job I've done on my car. In my opinion, you can get by without the tranny jack, but only if you've got some upper body strength. It takes some finagling to get the input shaft clear of the pressure plate fingers, so the tranny jack was more in my way than anything.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 PM
05StangZz
1st Gear Member

Yeah I didnt think it would be a fun job to do. But I will have plenty of time to do it and not have to rush so it might not seem so bad lol. I will probably only have a floor jack and not a tranny jack to work with, but I think i can manage. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Tranny jack is only $60 from harbor freight and it makes a decent motorcycle jack as well.

Hey! I bet I have more upper body strength than you, pound for pound.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it makes a decent motorcycle jack as well.
agreed, but only if you don't raise it up very far! i used mine recently
when working on my 1972 montgomery wards mini bike.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

So experiences vary on trans removal, but did you guys find it necessary to lower the K member to get the tranny out?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
So experiences vary on trans removal, but did you guys find it necessary to lower the K member to get the tranny out?
Shouldn't be necessary unless you have a supercharger bolted to the top. The PD blowers hit the firewall when the transmission crossmember is removed. They don't allow the engine to tilt back enough to get the trans out.

Technically, if you are replacing the clutch, you could pull the transmission back far enough to unbolt the pressure plate and then lower both down together, but you'd have to do the same to get it back up there. This is only if you have a pd blower though. You could always remove the blower.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Shouldn't be necessary unless you have a supercharger bolted to the top. The PD blowers hit the firewall when the transmission crossmember is removed. They don't allow the engine to tilt back enough to get the trans out.

Technically, if you are replacing the clutch, you could pull the transmission back far enough to unbolt the pressure plate and then lower both down together, but you'd have to do the same to get it back up there. This is only if you have a pd blower though. You could always remove the blower.
Good to know thanks. I'm going to have to put in a clutch soon. Most likely this winter.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It might be possible to get it out by turning it 45 degrees. I didn't try that the first time and had all ready lowered the k member/engine cross member the second time, but it did seem easier by turning it 45 degrees.

Or you could cave in the firewall right behind the blower. The thought has occurred to me. If I every need to pull the blower, I'll be breaking out the mallet.

Quick Reply: What do i need to replace slave cylinder?