Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CIA/Tune or 3.73/4.10 gears on automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default CIA/Tune or 3.73/4.10 gears on automatic

About to pull the trigger on a 2012 GT Premium Automatic. This would be my 5th GT since 2004 but my first automatic. Last car was a 2011 GT manual with stock 3.73 gears and brembo brake pkg. Had to trade due to physical issue but need my Mustang. Drove a couple of automatics and was impressed.

Only option is 19" wheels. If you could only do1 mod, would you recommend gears (3.73 or 4.10) or a CIA/Tune? What would I "feel" with each independently in an automatic?

Thanks for any opinions or experience as always.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the AT in the new Coyote's do well with the stock gears bc of the low trans gear ratios.
I would go with the CAI/tune and go from there.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Easy answer....CAI/Tune!
It will give the tuner a chance to adjust your shift points and shift firmness (auto) for performance purposes, besides you will need a handheld to change the shift points if you switch gear.
Tune first...gear second (if needed).
Hope this helps.

Last edited by mayo; 07-27-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I'm not very technical with so apologies for my relative ignorance. Everything I know I have learned here though : )

So the 3.15 gears in the auto are actually better for performance than 3.73s???? (I know the effect they had on the 2011 manual) I read that if I had the gears done at the dealer (which I would definitely do there even if more expensive) they would do any required adjustments calibrations as part of the work. (not really sure what the "low trans gear ratio" means)

I have never had a CAI/Tune on any of my previous cars because I thought performance was adequate for me stock and was concerned about warranty issues, etc. All were 100% stock while I owned them. Heard great things about the Bama and Brenspeed tunes and what they can do for this car.

Haven't had a chance to really "try out" the automatics during my 2 test drives but on the side streets and expressway (got to about 70mph) with the salesman it seemed pretty impressive. Not into racing or anything - just want to have the kind of occasional "back in the seat" expereince I could get in the manuals.

Any other feedback is appreciated as I may buy tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited by rogan01; 07-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I owned 2 auto GT's and loved them both. Dont get me wrong a stick is 100% more fun to drive, but my car is a DD and a stick just doesnt make sense for me. On my current 2012 I have a steeda cai, steeda tune, and lethal o/r x and the car is a beast. I ran 12.5 @ 111mph at the track my first time ever out and on street tires!!!

If you dont want to shift all the time, get the auto but if you want the fun factor get the manual. Both are fun and FAST
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

check the 1st gear ratio. this is my reasoning to not get the gears first.
in a MT the 1st gear is 3.66
in the AT it is 4.17
even with the stock 3.15 rear end gear final drive ratio, you will still take off from a dig well.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate all the help so far.

Probably will be into my first auto.

Still a bit confused about the performance of the 3.15 stock gears vs 3.73s - any help/info on this and what 3.73 would feel like/difference?

Also - any advice on what I can do on my last test drive tomorrow to let me get a feel for what the car can do without going crazy? Would like to try out it's "back in the seat" potential if possible - again just for those times when I may need it (e.g., aggressive passing when needed) Is it capable of this in stock form? I have never really experienced this feeling in an auto - but of course none have been a 5.0 Mustang...

Last edited by rogan01; 07-26-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rogan01
Appreciate all the help so far.

Probably will be into my first auto.

Still a bit confused about the performance of the 3.15 stock gears vs 3.73s - any help/info on this and what 3.73 would feel like/difference?

Also - any advice on what I can do on my last test drive tomorrow to let me get a feel for what the car can do without going crazy? Would like to try out it's "back in the seat" potential if possible - again just for those times when I may need it (e.g., aggressive passing when needed) Is it capable of this in stock form? I have never really experienced this feeling in an auto - but of course none have been a 5.0 Mustang...
on the highway at 60mph, just stomp on it!!! The 60-80 in the car shocked me the first few times I did it. As far as the 3.15 vs 3.73, yes you are going to see a huge difference in performance, but 3.73's will make 1st gear veryyyyy short due to the autos already tall 1st gear. If its a track car I would do it, but if its not than I personally wouldnt cause you will have to shift into 2nd at like 5mph
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thank you. That makes sense and helps a lot. Just didn't know if that was the case in an auto also (like in the manual). Assume you mean "the car" will shift into 2nd at 5mph since I won't have control...?

Do you find a "lag" at any time when you need to accelerated quickly? Just never driven a 412hp automatic before testing this one so can only base it on other auto cars I have driven with maybe 260hp at most. I will try to get as much of a feel as possible during next test drive tomorrow.

btw - the car I am looing at is red candy - another first for me : )

fwiw - Traded my 2011 GT manual for a 2012 Mazda MX-5 Special Edition Automatic (Crystal Pearl White/Black) and like it a lot (paddle shifters are nice) but it is not a Mustang...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yes what i said about shifting into 2nd at 5mph was with the auto. After I posted it I had a feeling it would confuse you a bit with the way i worded it lol.

Honestly the lag between downshifts has never been a problem for me. There is sometimes maybe a 1sec delay from when you floor it until when it downshifts, but nothing other than you would have to do it manually. Its not like a 5 second delay or anything.

Honestly just give the car a good test drive, screw what the salesman says cause you want to make sure your purchasing the right thing so put 15 miles on it if you have to.

Quick Reply: CIA/Tune or 3.73/4.10 gears on automatic