Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is oil filter on to tight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Default is oil filter on to tight?

Hay guys i changed my oil last night and im not sure if i put the filter on to tight!! i hand tight the filter until i couldnt turn it anymore with two hands. i was worried that if it wasnt tight enough it would leak but a tech told me not to over do since it gets tight as time goes on!! should i be worried? can i loosen the filter and tight it up a little again?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You'll find out when you go to take it off if its too tight You're probably fine and I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 AM
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Im just worried something will break! Should I redo my oil change!? I didn't think I could over tight by hand!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

It's fine, relax.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:00 AM
07graygt
2nd Gear Member

I'd say your ok. I've never seen an oil filter that was on to tight fail. And I seen one that took two of us to get off and it was still working. I might be a little of a pain to get off next oil change but I'd rather be to tight than too loose.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The only issues with overtightening the oil filter (which you did NOT do by hand unless you're King Kong) are:
  1. crushing/deforming the o-ring in which case you'll have a nice mess under the car when you start it
  2. require the vice-grips from hell to remove the filter next oil change
I've been doing oil changes on all my vehicles for the paast 30-some years and I hand tighten until 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the gasket seats, then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the filter wrench. The filter is tight to come off but not to the point of needing to use unusual measures like the grip from hell or jam a screwdriver thru it for leverage (old school).
Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The only issues with overtightening the oil filter (which you did NOT do by hand unless you're King Kong) are:
  1. crushing/deforming the o-ring in which case you'll have a nice mess under the car when you start it
I've been doing oil changes on all my vehicles for the paast 30-some years and I hand tighten until 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the gasket seats, then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the filter wrench. The filter is tight to come off but not to the point of needing to use unusual measures like the grip from hell or jam a screwdriver thru it for leverage (old school).
Do you need a wrench to take it off when it comes time to change it!? I went this am to see if I would be able to loosen by hand a little and was not able! So I just left it the way it was there's no oil leaking from what I can see!! I get paranoid when it comes to my car! I was worried that I could damage the stud on what the oil filter screws on to and I also read that it could restrict oil flow?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Man, take your Ritalin!!!
Relax, it's fine. IMO, if you can untighten it by hand after it's had a couple of heat-up/cool-down cycles, then it's too loose. Buy a filter wrench for future oil changes because if it comes off by hand, you have more possibility of something going wrong then if it's a bit too tight.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
**** son! that is old school. My gramps taught me that one. But yeah, one full turn after contact is plenty and as long as the gasket doesn't leak there isn't a problem.

P.s. oil filter wrenches are beautiful things, invest in one.

Last edited by Rylay; 07-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Jesus dude calm down. If you're really that nervous about touching the car, stop touching it.

Quick Reply: is oil filter on to tight?