MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   coils (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/678408-coils.html)

JayBeStangs94 08-02-2012 02:09 PM

coils

What sort of results should I expect from a new set of coils for my ignition? On American Muscle it says improved gas mileage, spark, ignition timing, acceleration, etc. Plus, it mentions they should be replaced after a certain milage. Any thoughts?
Thanks

AMDanBailer 08-02-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94 (Post 8012145)
What sort of results should I expect from a new set of coils for my ignition? On American Muscle it says improved gas mileage, spark, ignition timing, acceleration, etc. Plus, it mentions they should be replaced after a certain milage. Any thoughts?
Thanks

JayBeStangs93,

A new set of Coils will be very beneficial for sure.We went with the Accel coils on our 06' V6 Project car. This set feature's an advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized silicone magnetic steel cores, along with optimized winding, resistance and turns ratios to delivery 10-15% more energy than the stock factory OEM coils. More energy equals a hotter spark that burns fuel more completely releasing all it's potential energy translating into better fuel economy and more power that you can feel. We have seen power gains between 5-7RWHP with this set up. We actually just installed this on our project car, Check it out:

I hope this helps, Let me know if you any questions.

- Dan

tbar 08-02-2012 05:16 PM

Do a search you'll find out about after market coils.

moosestang 08-02-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94 (Post 8012145)
Thanks

Not sure why ignition timing is in there, but on a supercharged car I've noticed smoother idle and acceleration and a little power increase. No significant mileage increase on my car.

Accel coils have a bad habit of failing after the 1 year warranty has expired. Google bad accel coil and you'll see what I mean. I'm currently using msd coils, but I wouldn't change yours unless you are having problems with the stock ones.

daredevil95 08-02-2012 06:27 PM

I don't think it's worth the money on a basically stock car or if nothing is wrong with the coils you have...IMHO Spend the money on something that makes a difference.

Diabolical! 08-02-2012 09:42 PM

Stock coils are the best coils. A large percentage of people who buy aftermarket coils eventually regret it. Been there.

Nuke 08-03-2012 09:34 PM

Aftermarket COPs have been prone with problems. But even if they don't fail, on an NA engine, you won't see squat. Some folks claim to notice the engine run smoother, but I believe it's simply the placebo effect; as in how my car is SO much faster after a wash and wax.

On an SC'd engine, there are minor power gains.