Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 5.0 intake/tune experience, going full circle

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Mudflap,
Excellent review! I understand where you are coming from. My 2012 is my DD with some track time. I have the Steeda tune w/o the cai. Right now I have the stock tune loaded. I have to agree with you about the stock tune, it feels better for daily driving. In stock form it idles smoother and feels smoother on the road. If my car was a street only car like yours I would say stock. On the flip side I like my steeda tune also. At the track or at WOT the stock tune is good, but the Steeda tune is better.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Hey Mudflap... Since you have experience with the Procal and the SCT tuners, I have a question for you...

I am contemplating purchasing some upsized wheels/tires and I know in the SCT Tuner, you can use it to correct for the larger wheel diameter.

Will the Procal allow you the same capability? What about reading/clearing DTC codes?

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Hey Mudflap... Since you have experience with the Procal and the SCT tuners, I have a question for you...

I am contemplating purchasing some upsized wheels/tires and I know in the SCT Tuner, you can use it to correct for the larger wheel diameter.

Will the Procal allow you the same capability? What about reading/clearing DTC codes?

Thanks,
Don
Yep, the Procal will let you set tire size, gear ratio, and will read/clear DTCs. That is about all you can do above the tune they send to you though. Further more extensive mods would require aftermarket tunes/tuner...

I drove the car down to Denver today to do some errands, and man it just runs great with the FRPP tune. Really satisfied with it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yep, the Procal will let you set tire size, gear ratio, and will read/clear DTCs. That is about all you can do above the tune they send to you though. Further more extensive mods would require aftermarket tunes/tuner...

I drove the car down to Denver today to do some errands, and man it just runs great with the FRPP tune. Really satisfied with it.
Thanks for answering that for me.

One more question, have you experienced any pinging when getting on the go fast pedal? I have seen several posts mention it, but I haven't been able to find anyone with it say they have had any...

Thanks again.
Don
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

http://tinyurl.com/frppping

There are more if you google FRPP PING
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Thanks for answering that for me.

One more question, have you experienced any pinging when getting on the go fast pedal? I have seen several posts mention it, but I haven't been able to find anyone with it say they have had any...

Thanks again.
Don
I have no ping. I have read that doing a "Profile Learn" on the Procal device has fixed this for quite a few people that had the issue.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Seattlelion

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I went back to the stock paper filter and everything. I drove the car around and was sort of surprised at just how well it drove. Then I felt "dumb" for having spent so much money and really getting nothing in return that was of value to me. Next I was a little pissed, lol. My experience was that I liked stock better than the custom tunes and intakes, and then the Ford Racing performance calibration was a good step forward from stock, while not losing the stock driving characteristics. The Roush intake and stock airbox seem to be a bit of a wash, however I do believe the throttle response was improved even more with the Roush intake, and the sound is cool. For $200~ that thing isn't a bad deal if you simply must tinker like me.
I sold a 2010 370Z and got my Mustang. Many of the Z people have similar stories to tell about mods. Many return to stock and are very happy. In the case of my Mustang, I thought the horsepower change from 402 to 420 based on octane had a bad smell. The only reason this would happen is if the car was intentionally de-tuned to use regular gas. Reading about the Ford Racing performance pack convinced me that this is indeed the case. It's my take that the performance pack simply tunes the car the way it should have been in stock. I suspect the marketing people are responsible for the stock tune.

I ordered the kit and the ProCal arrived today. Based on this thread, it's very clear that the performance kit's tune is exactly what the car should have. My dealer will install the mufflers next week. I checked with the dealer and if I install the tune it will not affect my warranty. However, the mufflers need to be done by the dealer if I want Ford Racing's 36k/36 month warranty. The dealer says it will cost under $200 to do it. My guess is that it will be around $150. That's worth it to me.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

200$ to bolt on some mufflers and plug in a tuner device and push a couple of buttons. it's robbery.

I understand you have to do it to keep the FRPP warranty though. Just venting.

I am in the Seattle area and I used to drive a 350z. I can't say I was happier with my Z stock than modded, but on that platform, there just wasn't much power to squeeze out of the v6 in n/a format.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The car continues to run well with the FRPP tune. I hadn't driven it in about 2-1/2 weeks until last night (bought a motorcycle, so I've been preoccupied), and was flogging it quite a bit. Shes quick!