Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 Door trim falling off!!!?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Why won't they warranty the door leather? Many have had it fixed under the warranty, mine peeled just after it expired..

Also do yourself a favor, fix the door leather now, it's far easier to fix it before it completely comes off due to the alignment. I do live in Florida but I've never seen any car especially 3 years old with pieces falling off due to the heat. Ford is cheap, our cars are glued together.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Oddly enough my battery replacement was under warranty. I decided to take to the dealer because of the glass roof shade needing fixed anyway, both covered. Not sure about the center piece on the door but I had found an elbow shaped piece of leather lodged between the bottom of the door and the door sill on the passenger side. It peeled off some of the protectant (I guess thats what it is) covering the "MUSTANG" insert. I was a tad upset. Hope everything gets sorted out.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
swahler1

Default same problem, other door, year later

hey guys,

so a year ago i repaired my driver door with the weldwood contact cement and its been holding like a charm ever since.

Now a year later the passenger door trim has finally fallen and this time i took the door panel to do the work in the garage (i highly recommend doing this as the horrible smell of curing adhesive gave me a headache for a week.)

I followed the same exact process of applying the contact adhesive to both sides of the leather trim and the door, let them almost dry to a tacky, glossy finish (about 15 min) and carefully stuck both pieces together.

The problem is, that its bubbling and not sticking properly. I originally thought there was a problem with humidity or not applying enough cement, or not letting it dry properly before sticking together. But I'm doing this is an air conditioned indoor room and there was plenty of adhesive applied to both sides. And it cured properly.

What the hell is going on? I remember never having this issue with the driver door a year ago, and that was out in the hot south FL humidity curing.

Is there a better adhesive or contact cement I can try? I tried applying a setting the trim twice now and its bubbling still.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swahler1
hey guys,

so a year ago i repaired my driver door with the weldwood contact cement and its been holding like a charm ever since.

Now a year later the passenger door trim has finally fallen and this time i took the door panel to do the work in the garage (i highly recommend doing this as the horrible smell of curing adhesive gave me a headache for a week.)

I followed the same exact process of applying the contact adhesive to both sides of the leather trim and the door, let them almost dry to a tacky, glossy finish (about 15 min) and carefully stuck both pieces together.

The problem is, that its bubbling and not sticking properly. I originally thought there was a problem with humidity or not applying enough cement, or not letting it dry properly before sticking together. But I'm doing this is an air conditioned indoor room and there was plenty of adhesive applied to both sides. And it cured properly.

What the hell is going on? I remember never having this issue with the driver door a year ago, and that was out in the hot south FL humidity curing.

Is there a better adhesive or contact cement I can try? I tried applying a setting the trim twice now and its bubbling still.
When I had to repair the trim on my '07 I spent about an hour rolling the old adhesive stuff off the panel and the leather with my fingertips. The stuff just sorta rolled up and I was able to vacuum it off because it remained slightly sticky. Were you able to get all the old adhesive off before applying the contact cement? If not, the new adhesive would only be sticking to the old adhesive and could pull right off...I realize this is pretty obvious, just wondering.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Cancel the rest of that warranty and get some of your money back.