Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the F? I think the cable on my inside door handle broke!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default What the F? I think the cable on my inside door handle broke!

I drove my car out to the store earlier tonight, pulled the inside door handle to open the door...the door opened partially and then I heard a pop and the handle was not working. Had to open the door from the outside. I'm not home yet so I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel and really look, but just looking in through the hole around the door handle, it appears that either the cable somehow came off the handle, or the piece on the end of the cable actually broke off.

Is this common? Where can I get a new cable? I looked on rockauto and did not see one on there, but I may have not looked in the right category...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Never heard of it happening before... I would suggest checking your local salvage yard for the part, maybe.

Don
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

agreed with Don there.. thats a rare one. and there is no way in hell that part would break in 80% of wrecks so getting one at a junkyard should be easy pickins.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

most likely the plastic tab holding the cable on, mine broke I just used some epoxy to put it back together, other wise you have to replace the whole door panel.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
most likely the plastic tab holding the cable on, mine broke I just used some epoxy to put it back together, other wise you have to replace the whole door panel.
<br />
<br />

This makes sense, I endorse this message.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Nope, it's not that simple, of course...

I took the door panel off just now. The cable broke off flush at the metal stop collar thing just past where it comes out of the outer sleeve. Great. So I have about an inch of the end where it attached to the handle that just snapped off.

Now what? Where can I get this, or am I gonna have to buy a whole new door latch?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I had this happen on my old 5.0, I can't remember how I fixed it back then. Either way i checked fordparts, new cable is 200 bucks...
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You can probably get the cable from Ford. I think it's called door handle actuating cable. Obviously getting the top part of it reconnected won't be hard with a new one, but I've heard taking the other end of it off is a real PITA.

This might be a good write up if you end up having to do this.

Another crazy thought though...wouldnt this be fixable like the cables on bicycle like the brake cables and the shifter cables with a crimper of some kind and if you could find a ferrule for it?

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Maybe a bicycle shop could fix it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Another crazy thought though...wouldnt this be fixable like the cables on bicycle like the brake cables and the shifter cables with a crimper of some kind and if you could find a ferrule for it?

http://www.amazon.com/16IN-ALUM-CABL.../dp/B000WCMMOS
That was actually the first thing I thought about...****, no way in hell am I gonna pay $200 for a new one! I may peruse the bicycle section at walmart or something, maybe see if I can cobble something together. Man, this sucks.

Quick Reply: What the F? I think the cable on my inside door handle broke!