Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any cons with a glass roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone had to replace the glass or have a leak?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

After having various cars over the years with sunroofs, t-tops, etc the glass roof was not worth $2k to me.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

honestly am i the only one who just don't like the idea glass roof right above your head??? i don't care if it is shatter proof or not if you rolled that stang good enough your done.. thats why they have convertibles too be more in touch with outside while driving
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What's your anticipated use of this car? For trips, cruising, and most daily driving a glass roof is fine.

If you're going to become more hardcore about any form of competition, road course track lapping, or canyon running/blasting down curvy county roads, you'd be best off not getting it - probably as much for reasons involving reduced chassis stiffness as for the increased weight.

You'll also have to consider that sunglasses won't completely block distractingly strong sunlight coming from above. In the two cars of ours that have sunroofs, I've found I need to wear a hat or visor even if all I want is the headliner panels on those cars slid back, and this is even when I don't need the sunglasses for the view out the untinted windshields.

Norm
Norm, ive heard a lot of people make those arguments.. but none of them has provided any kind of proof that a glass roof will degrade performance. This is the first ive heard of chassis stiffness. I doubt thats an issue considering the glass is less flexible (and actually stronger) than the paper thin sheet metal on a typical coupe.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Norm, ive heard a lot of people make those arguments.. but none of them has provided any kind of proof that a glass roof will degrade performance. This is the first ive heard of chassis stiffness. I doubt thats an issue considering the glass is less flexible (and actually stronger) than the paper thin sheet metal on a typical coupe.
Norm's right on that one. The glass roof is heavier. By putting a heavier roof on, you are raising the center of gravity of the car. No big deal for a DD, but in competition it could mean a couple of tenths.

Regarding structural rigidity, I think the steel roofs are welded into place. Glass roofs are not. The added structural rigidity would come from the welds.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

leaking seals are a worry. but then again i dont know much about these new roofs
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I haven't seen any hard data showing how much more the glass roof weighs. But I remembered the comparo in R&T where they mentioned it:

Where the Mustang really shines, though, is in its relatively low weight. Our test car gained just 80 lb. over the previous version. The majority of that extra weight can be chalked up to the optional glass roof panel and bigger brakes. But all said, it’s still more than 200 lb. (6 percent) lighter than the Camaro. Unfortunately, it remains nose-heavy in its balance, although you’d never know it by its crisp turn-in and ability to clip apexes.

That's from here:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...tang_gt_page_2
Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I dont know if you guys have ever removed your headliners and actually felt the sheet metal that sits above your head but Id trust glass just about as much as I do it. The sheet metal isnt doing anything if you roll nor is it adding rigidity to the body. The glass should be the same in that aspect.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
Norm's right on that one. The glass roof is heavier. By putting a heavier roof on, you are raising the center of gravity of the car. No big deal for a DD, but in competition it could mean a couple of tenths.

Regarding structural rigidity, I think the steel roofs are welded into place. Glass roofs are not. The added structural rigidity would come from the welds.
Again.. "should" isnt "does". This is not a convertible. If there is increased flex, it would be measured in mm.. maybe. My guess is there is no flex.. and no decrease in handling.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

You could damage your interior or speed up the process from Sunday damage unless it comes tinted or you get it tinted?

Seems like it be a good idea as a "wow" factor but after a while it's all the same.

Quick Reply: Any cons with a glass roof?