MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   New 5.0 A/C question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/679225-new-5-0-a-c-question.html)

Sethman29 08-12-2012 06:13 PM

New 5.0 A/C question

Hey guys. Earlier i was on the interstate going to watch a movie and i had my a/c on the 4th speed selection on my 2013 gt and it kept going in and out? I noticed sometimes it was when i took my foot off the gas, or applied it. Does anyone know the reason for this? Its like the blower would speed up, then slow down. Seemed to only do it on the 4th speed though. Any insight you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2011scgt 08-15-2012 02:12 PM

are you at wot when this happens?

wcgman 08-15-2012 02:46 PM

WOT? What movie?

Andy13186 08-15-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by wcgman (Post 8023378)
WOT? What movie?

WOT = wide open throttle

wayne613 08-15-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sethman29 (Post 8020858)
Hey guys. Earlier i was on the interstate going to watch a movie and i had my a/c on the 4th speed selection on my 2013 gt and it kept going in and out? I noticed sometimes it was when i took my foot off the gas, or applied it. Does anyone know the reason for this? Its like the blower would speed up, then slow down. Seemed to only do it on the 4th speed though. Any insight you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dealer service tech ride-along question..

The blower is electric, as such, if the alternator is not doing it's job properly for whatever reason (dropping voltage below 12.6-12.8v and/or the current behind it), belt slipping, clutch issue, RPMs dipping, outright dieing, the blower will respond accordingly. Usually leans toward indicating the battery might not be getting what it needs either.

It's far more likely that when coming out of WOT, that the trims are overcompensating, dropping you down below the normal idle RPM speed, thus the alternator is not putting out the power for a second or two.

As it's a new car, drive in, state issue, ask a tech to ride with you, point it out, get it fixed or explained as normal...Done.

Sethman29 08-15-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by wayne613 (Post 8023596)
Dealer service tech ride-along question..

The blower is electric, as such, if the alternator is not doing it's job properly for whatever reason (dropping voltage below 12.6-12.8v and/or the current behind it), belt slipping, clutch issue, RPMs dipping, outright dieing, the blower will respond accordingly. Usually leans toward indicating the battery might not be getting what it needs either.

It's far more likely that when coming out of WOT, that the trims are overcompensating, dropping you down below the normal idle RPM speed, thus the alternator is not putting out the power for a second or two.

As it's a new car, drive in, state issue, ask a tech to ride with you, point it out, get it fixed or explained as normal...Done.

Thanks for the reply man that helps out a ton! I will def watch it close and check into that. The movie was " the campaigne" lol

wayne613 08-15-2012 11:32 PM

NP. If it's minor and only lasts a second or so, likely normal. Electric blowers such as this make minor variations in voltage acutely noticeable, as the voltage has a greater impact on it's rotation.

Voltage level is PCM controlled and dependent upon the IAT sensor temperature. If it significantly lowers during idle, or for more than a second or so with no change in intake air temp, then you might have a concern.

I would of course still take it in to be sure. Make as good of use as you can from the warranty while it lasts.

Entaille 08-16-2012 12:31 AM

I typically turn off my AC if I'm about to romp on the car at all. it just robs power.. am I alone in that?

BigDinTexas 08-16-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 8023930)
I typically turn off my AC if I'm about to romp on the car at all. it just robs power.. am I alone in that?

You are definitely NOT alone... I do the same... matter of fact, I do the same... and disable AdvanceTrac/TCS as soon as I start the car...

Don