Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Why all the confusion when lowering a 2013 GT/CS?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM
rzundel

Default Help! Why all the confusion when lowering a 2013 GT/CS?

I am helping my father get set up with a new 2013 GT500 California Special. We want to lower the car but getting a very mixed/confused message from the dealer. We are looking to use the Ford Racing M-5300-K spring. The question is whether or not we need to get the M-18183-C strut mounts and M-18000-A Dampers? The dealer says yes but I spoke to the guys at Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) today and they say no. They tell me to simply use the springs. The guys at GAS should be the experts doing this.

Why all the confusion? Can someone who has done this with a 2012 or 2013 GT500 please confirm?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

GT500 California Special? It's one or the other. I would say to not half *** it, get the shocks and struts, too. I'm not sure about the strut mounts, ifit is a gt500 you should be good, may need them for a c/s.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the dealership is not your only option for lowering your car .. there are many aftermarket applications available.

you're asking a dealership, and a shop that doesn't specialize in mustangs and could care less / are just charging you labor - you're not going to get a clear answer from them.

do some searching around here. dampers and front strut mount replacements are heavily recommended. can you just do springs? sure..
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

First thing you need to do now that you've made your first post is to go research the car to see if it's a GT/California Special or a GT500... Sounds like it's a GT/CS. Any local performance shop should be able to knock that out in a hour or two. I did mine in about 2 hours on jack-stands in a driveway. Just FYI, when you're lowering it you'll probably want to go ahead and upgrade suspension as well. Lower control arms and maybe upper control arm. Panhard bar will center the rear axle as it will most likely shift to one side by an inch or so, which will cause your car to shift to one side under hard launches. The upper control arm will help correct the pinion angle switch as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
rzundel

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
GT500 California Special? It's one or the other. I would say to not half *** it, get the shocks and struts, too. I'm not sure about the strut mounts, ifit is a gt500 you should be good, may need them for a c/s.
My mistake. It is the GT CS. The experts at Galpin Auto Sports claimed that the shocks and struts will simply stiffen the ride and only recommended if you are going to track.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rzundel
I am helping my father get set up with a new 2013 GT500 California Special. We want to lower the car but getting a very mixed/confused message from the dealer. We are looking to use the Ford Racing M-5300-K spring. The question is whether or not we need to get the M-18183-C strut mounts and M-18000-A Dampers? The dealer says yes but I spoke to the guys at Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) today and they say no. They tell me to simply use the springs. The guys at GAS should be the experts doing this.

Why all the confusion? Can someone who has done this with a 2012 or 2013 GT500 please confirm?

Thanks
If it's a GT500, then no...
If it's a GT/CS, then this is a package add-on, so i don't think the car qualifies as an SVT, so, yes...upgrade the strut mounts! The OEM ones are weak and half the size of the SVT/GT500 ones and are definitely worth the extra $100 or so for them.
If you're going this route as well, not saying that the dampers/shocks are a must, but might as well do it right and ensure that you're getting the best setup, balance, ride possible.

It was worth the $800 i spent on this setup and the car rides great!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 AM
rzundel

Originally Posted by steel pony
If it's a GT500, then no...
If it's a GT/CS, then this is a package add-on, so i don't think the car qualifies as an SVT, so, yes...upgrade the strut mounts! The OEM ones are weak and half the size of the SVT/GT500 ones and are definitely worth the extra $100 or so for them.
If you're going this route as well, not saying that the dampers/shocks are a must, but might as well do it right and ensure that you're getting the best setup, balance, ride possible.

It was worth the $800 i spent on this setup and the car rides great!
I appreciate the advise. It is a GT/CS. I don't know if this is a SVT or not? I am new to the Mustang scene. All I know is that the GT/CS is ordered as a GT Premium with the CS option added. What are the actual parts you got for $800? I want to do this right. No one seems to be able to tell me. I like the way yours looks.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Not SVT, GT/CS is just a cosmetic add on to the GT
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

not the cheapest option but to give you a starting point, something like this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-h...ck-0512gt.html

comes with pretty much everything and is a good balanced system.

Some people can help you part together a different package with their personal choices but like I said, this is a really complete kit with good balance.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Contact Sam Strano...only person that knows everrything about suspension on these cars!!!

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Why all the confusion when lowering a 2013 GT/CS?