Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

Default Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?

whats the best thing to make it stick on there?the glue that holds it together basically melted off from the heat, and the foam that the panel glues to actually disintegrates when you touch it. I am stumped here as to the best solution to glue that back on.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...gging-fix.html

I don't know if the above link is the best but it is the most popular. I haven't had to deal with mine, yet.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A can of 3m spray adhesive might work better than that spread on stuff.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Boogiestang
1st Gear Member

Both of my doors did that and I carefully sprayed the 3m adhesive glue on and let it tack up for about a minute and then reapplied the vinyl. Some of the foam around the edges was gone but if you take your time and don't over do it the result will be good. Oh yea, I used painters tape to mask the area off when I used the spray. That stuff is hard to get off of things once it gets on them.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

In the past i've used gorilla glue successfully, to re glue door trims, that would otherwise be hired to glue if glue isn't strong enough. Clean the area, spread the glue, and used clamps to hold things together. Very strong.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by light speed
whats the best thing to make it stick on there?the glue that holds it together basically melted off from the heat, and the foam that the panel glues to actually disintegrates when you touch it. I am stumped here as to the best solution to glue that back on.
The problem with this-once the heat gets to it and loosens it-is that the fabric isn't wrapped around the panel. It's just kind of wedged in there with the best attempts that it will hold.

If you want to fix it and add a bit of interior pizzazz that will help it hold in place, i suggest getting some welt trim. Comes in many colors or you can paint it yourself and it tucks super nice into that gap!

Here's some pics of it installed on my 07

and a linky to the place to buy it
http://www.yourautotrim.com/emwelcor.html
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
The problem with this-once the heat gets to it and loosens it-is that the fabric isn't wrapped around the panel. It's just kind of wedged in there with the best attempts that it will hold.

If you want to fix it and add a bit of interior pizzazz that will help it hold in place, i suggest getting some welt trim. Comes in many colors or you can paint it yourself and it tucks super nice into that gap!

Here's some pics of it installed on my 07
Great idea, I have had to do my doors twice now. I had the idea to use something along those lines, but couldn't figure out what.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

The key is to start the project before it gets too bad. Do the top but don't peel it off any more, once you get the top back in, just use a putty knife, you then work your way down the door.. If done correctly you'll never tell it was even touched, no need for that welt stuff.

I can't speak of the 3m spray stuff but the contact cement not only held my door trim back on, I've now glued my mountain bike shoes back together, did each shoe once over the past two years, it has held, the stuff is amazing.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

The 3M adhesive spray is good stuff. I used it for an insulation project on my 67.

Quick Reply: Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?