Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 AM
MiniD

It seems it's more important to be happy with what you have than complaining about something you don't want. I don't understand the handwringing over this. Mustangs have had their good and bad moments in the past. They'll have them again in the future. In the grand scheme of things, it won't affect anyone in any meaningful way.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MiniD
It seems it's more important to be happy with what you have than complaining about something you don't want. I don't understand the handwringing over this. Mustangs have had their good and bad moments in the past. They'll have them again in the future. In the grand scheme of things, it won't affect anyone in any meaningful way.
Well said. In the end, we'll either have a new toy to lust after, or be more in love with the toys we currently have.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Well that kinda puts a damper on this whole Internet thing then....
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
When gas prices continue to rise, you'll be appreciating the fact that you will have a motor that can squeeze out 500hp and 30mpg.

The drivers that don't notice IRS are the same ones that don't notice the live axle. To me, the IRS is an improvement.
Agreed, any bump mid-turn leads me to believe the car is about to skip right out across the road.

Originally Posted by onederful100
regarding the IRS,
if you aren't autocrossing it, i dont think you will notice the IRS..
and if you are a drag racer, the SRA is what you want.
if you are like most of us and drive your Mustang on the street 99% of the time, or never track it,
the SRA is perfectly fine.
You don't need to autocross to notice the car wanting to hop and walk all over when anything mid turn upsets the suspension.

I was thinking I'd be good with my 12 GT for a while, but if they put an IRS and a boosted option, I'd probably trade the 12 in.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Well that kinda puts a damper on this whole Internet thing then....
HaHAhaHa!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, looks like 2015 is once again a turn away from muscle car look and status, so go ahead an eco-boost it. It will be just another competitor in the inexpensive sports car field. Eventualy they'll realize what they have done and reinstate a model that speaks to its muscle car heritage and roots (its happened before). Look at the poor Thunderbird, from two door sports car, all they way up to a large family sedan and now oblivion...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Those who don't remember history are condemned to repeat it - remember what happened to the Mustang in the early seventies - is another mustang II debacle on the way?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Cardstang
1st Gear Member

I'm excited to see what these will really look like. I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over an artists rendering of what they may think or hope it looks like.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

American cars in the mid 70s-mid 80s sucked, it's ironic that the fastest car in 1986 was a Buick Grand National 3.8 turbocharged V6, the first American car built in 10 years that could run the quarter mile in the 13s. It looks like turbo history is repeating itself.
Direct Injection is the current technology for high horse power and great mileage, the next step will be turbo charged higher compression engines that run on gas but fire like a diesel, no spark plugs needed. According to DOE engineers, they will have no trouble getting to the 55 MPG required by 2025 and still have lots of power. The HP per liter will continue to improve, 4 cylinder engines will easily hit 370 HP.

I own a Pontiac Solstice GXP with a 2.0L turbo charged 290 HP engine that can beat most Mustangs on the straights and it easily out corners them. While I miss the sound and feel of the old V-8s, I am just happy to have cars that are fun to drive and faster than most of the 60s Muscle Cars.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

From the posts, it doesn't look like anyone bothered to actually click the reference link in the Ops original posted link.

Eco 4 will be ADDED to lineup. There are a couple of reliable sources that have stated this. V-6 and V-8 Remain.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
http://wot.motortrend.com/fusion-bas...ns-250131.html

The 2015 looks are not addressed by either of these sources other than some design cue's...as in touches, not a redesign. 2013 to 2015 for a complete redesign would be a very short lived production run by anyones standards.

http://www.mustangsdaily.com/blog/ta...tang-rendering

look at this link...renderings as in ideas.... Notice how some of them look familiar? Its because the media hype engine grabs them and then posts them everywhere. The Rags, no matter how much we dislike them because they seemed bias, are at least a better source of info than some wonky website without a history. The rags have magazines to print/sell as well.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true... Would you believe that I'm a french model? Bonjure!

Like some have stated, until I see one in the showroom or ford releases some facts on the design, I'm keeping my opinion on hold and not spreading the rumors.

Quick Reply: Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang