Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A thought to sell

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default A thought to sell

My wife is seriously considering selling her vehicle due to gas and she's in this mood....Why do we have high dollar vehicles (neither are paid for) when we have a house payment. She drive's a 08 Tahoe and we are averaging 13.3 MPG's. I figured up we spend $331 a month in gas just in her car and another $275 in mine. She wants something that averages 26 MPGS and <20K price.

So, I am thinking I may need to hop on track with her. I don't really want to, but I can buy another one down the road. After all, we just had our second child in May. (Now, day care is $800-$1000 a month.) Buying another mustang was probably not the brightest move.

I am thinking about listing for 32-33K, would anyone be interested? Fair price? FOR ANY SMARTASS’S WONDERING…. Yes, I can look, but all I see is what people are asking, not what people are paying. Also, I do not see many black ones with the adds I have

12GT - 6 speed - 8k miles - premium - brembo - HID's - comfort - shaker 500 - reverse sensor - accessory package 4; wing and hood scoop - 3:31 axle - security package - MSRP was $38,900

Aftermarket
Mac comp catback
hood struts
ROUSH CAI - non tune version
All lights tinted black
HID fogs, LED blinkers and LED reverse light
American Muscle taillight trim painted black
tinted windows 15%
JL and Pioneer speakers
All four tires have same tread wear on them

I am not saying this will go down, but I am just feeling it out.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 08-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Kbb puts the value of your car in excellent condition at around 30,600; trade in value at little over 28k. Aftermarket stuff you have usually will not get you extra money.

Hate to see you get rid of an awesome ride but you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't get a minivan!! lol Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbstang13
Kbb puts the value of your car in excellent condition at around 30,600; trade in value at little over 28k. Aftermarket stuff you have usually will not get you extra money.

Hate to see you get rid of an awesome ride but you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't get a minivan!! lol Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Thanks..LOL.. No minivan, she's 28 and said "I am not a soccer mom."

She's looking at a few EX335 by infiniti, Edge, and Equinox. I am shooting at the Ford Edge due to price and MPG.

Trying to steer her off the infiniti, mileage not too beneficial.

That's a depressing #. Some reason I got around 32K when I just checked KB. We all know how aftermarket parts go. I would likely remove the exhaust and CAI.

My plan - by me a sedan and in a few years shoot for a 10-12 GT500 (pay cash)

Anyone in the market for a nice Z71 Tahoe for cheap?

Last edited by 99gtstang; 08-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Well, my mom just went through the whole under $20k and high mpg, and the whole time I pushed for a new focus. You can pick up a used 2012, loaded, with ~10k miles on it for under $20k. I don't know if you want the space of an suv, but your wife seems set on them, I'm guessing that's why. You could buy a cheap econo box for a bit of money and save on gas, but it's all about what you know you can afford to do.

Good luck, hate to see such a beautiful car go.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

my parents just picked up a 2011 fusion with 35,000 on the clock loaded for $13,000 its great on fuel 33 mpg on the highway (they drive the speedlimit), roomie, comfortable and nice looking
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Well, my mom just went through the whole under $20k and high mpg, and the whole time I pushed for a new focus. You can pick up a used 2012, loaded, with ~10k miles on it for under $20k. I don't know if you want the space of an suv, but your wife seems set on them, I'm guessing that's why. You could buy a cheap econo box for a bit of money and save on gas, but it's all about what you know you can afford to do.

Good luck, hate to see such a beautiful car go.
I agree on focus being a money saver. She's stuck on cross over; flipped a sedan in her teens. She feels safer and needs room with both kids. Frankly, she just wants it lol.

She keeps telling me no to me getting rid of the car. She says I work harder and make more money.. WOW old school, but I just don't feel right LOL.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 08-27-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05screaminyellow
my parents just picked up a 2011 fusion with 35,000 on the clock loaded for $13,000 its great on fuel, roomie, comfortable and nice looking
I had one as a rental for 8 days when my 11 went southbound. I loved the average 31 MPG, but the seats were just horrible. I am 6'4" and 260lbs. That car just can't handle this... HAHA

The only sedan for myself that I have drove and liked was a ES350. I am also peeping a 4 cylinder accord.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I agree on focus being a money saver. She's stuck on cross over; flipped a sedan in her teens. She feels safer and needs room with both kids. Frankly, she just wants it lol.

She keeps telling me no to me getting rid of the car. She says I work harder and make more money.. WOW old school, but I just don't feel right LOL.
Sounds interesting, you'd think it'd be the other way around. Luckily it sounds like she's alright now. Makes sense though.

That should be all the encouragement you need! But seriously, if you can manage to knock a good chunk of money each month, every bit helps. My mom just got a Corolla and is saving $200 a month over her previous car in payments, and cut her insurance and gas in half, adding up to almost $5k a year. Every bit helps, and if you actually work things out, it may be worth just keeping the Stang and paying it off. Try to get ahead in payments when you can, and when it's paid off in a few years you'll have a nice chunk of change in your pocket each month.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
The only sedan for myself that I have drove and liked was a ES350. I am also peeping a 4 cylinder accord.
What the **** is this ****.

I'd give it 2 weeks before you were crying over your decision

also cts-v
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I don't know man - if the goal is really to save money, I don't really see picking up another pair of new cars that are slightly more efficient as the absolute cost beneficial way to do it.

500+ a month in gas alone though, yikes, I feel your pain, I'd want to take some action too.

Quick Reply: A thought to sell