Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed: is this steering wheel connector compatible with 2012 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
satellite779

I got GT500 wheel finally installed in my car. Didn't do it myself, but it wasn't that expensive and the guys did a good job. Connectors were fully compatible. There was no need to solder or rewire anything. The only bummer is that audio controls apparently can't work in my car since buttons on the wheel are for Sync, which I don't have. This was not a major issue for me though, as I don't care if some buttons don't work.

Here's the photo of the final result:

The difference is huge... Today, after I got in my car after work, I was like: "What's this?! Who's car is this?!" It's like I got a brand new car. Well worth $270 total I spent, including installation.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

$270 for the wheel & installation? That's a steal... wheels are normally $300-$400+
Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 PM
satellite779

Originally Posted by Menace
$270 for the wheel & installation? That's a steal... wheels are normally $300-$400+
Some online shops are delivering GT500 wheel under P/N for premium wheel. Some are advertised as premium wheels, while others are actually advertised as GT500 wheels. In both cases you end up with a GT500 wheel. I paid around $170 for the wheel itself, including shipping.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

What site out of curiosity? I have never seen a wheel for under $300.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM
satellite779

Originally Posted by Menace
What site out of curiosity? I have never seen a wheel for under $300.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....00-p-1231.html
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satellite779
I got GT500 wheel finally installed in my car. Didn't do it myself, but it wasn't that expensive and the guys did a good job. Connectors were fully compatible. There was no need to solder or rewire anything. The only bummer is that audio controls apparently can't work in my car since buttons on the wheel are for Sync, which I don't have. This was not a major issue for me though, as I don't care if some buttons don't work.

Here's the photo of the final result:

The difference is huge... Today, after I got in my car after work, I was like: "What's this?! Who's car is this?!" It's like I got a brand new car. Well worth $270 total I spent, including installation.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Some online shops are delivering GT500 wheel under P/N for premium wheel. Some are advertised as premium wheels, while others are actually advertised as GT500 wheels. In both cases you end up with a GT500 wheel. I paid around $170 for the wheel itself, including shipping.
So you spent $100 to get a 15 minute job done? You could have easily done it yourself, saved those $100 for something else (perhaps another mod), and learned something new about your car. Oh well, your money, your decisions.

Looks really good. There was a member here, who I'm not sure is still around the forums, who had swapped a base steering wheel for a premium one and went to a dealership to have it flashed so the volume and media buttons would work. You may wanna look into that.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
satellite779

Originally Posted by Antonio323
So you spent $100 to get a 15 minute job done? You could have easily done it yourself, saved those $100 for something else (perhaps another mod), and learned something new about your car. Oh well, your money, your decisions.

Looks really good. There was a member here, who I'm not sure is still around the forums, who had swapped a base steering wheel for a premium one and went to a dealership to have it flashed so the volume and media buttons would work. You may wanna look into that.
Yes, I did exactly that. If it was not for the airbag, I would have probably done it myself. However, taking into account I don't want to mess around with airbags, especially if I get into an accident, plus the fact I have zero tools right now, spending $100 was not a big deal for me. Plus it was not a 15 minute job, since the tech was really trying to make it perfectly aligned. They told me the wheel is now just a bit off, but I couldn't notice it when I got the car. In total, the car was in for 1.5hrs. I don't know how much of this time has been spent on actually working on the car. I understand it is for most people on mustangforums and I don't want to suggest one or the other is the correct way to do it. Depends on your particular situation.

I checked with the dealership if it would be possible to flash the radio. This exact dealership has been mentioned as one which does radio flashing. However, they told me me that the wheel I got is for Sync only and the only way I could make it work is to have Sync installed. If the wheel had standard premium buttons it would probably work. I don't know if what they were telling me is actually true. If anyone has Sync enabled wheels in their base Mustangs, please share your experience.

Last edited by satellite779; 08-31-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Yes, I did exactly that. If it was not for the airbag, I would have probably done it myself. However, taking into account I don't want to mess around with airbags, especially if I get into an accident, plus the fact I have zero tools right now, spending $100 was not a big deal for me. Plus it was not a 15 minute job, since the tech was really trying to make it perfectly aligned. They told me the wheel is now just a bit off, but I couldn't notice it when I got the car. In total, the car was in for 1.5hrs. I don't know how much of this time has been spent on actually working on the car. I understand it is for most people on mustangforums and I don't want to suggest one or the other is the correct way to do it. Depends on your particular situation.

I checked with the dealership if it would be possible to flash the radio. This exact dealership has been mentioned as one which does radio flashing. However, they told me me that the wheel I got is for Sync only and the only way I could make it work is to have Sync installed. If the wheel had standard premium buttons it would probably work. I don't know if what they were telling me is actually true. If anyone has Sync enabled wheels in their base Mustangs, please share your experience.
I would try asking another dealer about that. I'm 99.99% sure the member I mentioned had a base steering wheel and had those buttons flashed. And I'm sure Sync is an option that isn't found on any base Mustang. Try asking another dealer or maybe even take the dive and get a DDIN. You'll love it!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:57 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

$100.00 buys lots of tools. Buy a socket set and torque wrench. Remove the negative battery terminal, wait 10 minutes, remove two bolts, unplug air bag connectors, lift out air bag, remove steering wheel nut and a connector, plug new steering wheel connector, torque down steering wheel nut, plug air bag connectors back in, two bolts, done. And you have tools for your next job. And now you have confidence to tackle that next job!

Check out ebay for steering wheels for mustangs for $100.00, thats where I got mine.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

How hard would it be to adapt this wheel to my '06 GT?

Quick Reply: Help needed: is this steering wheel connector compatible with 2012 Mustang?