Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time buyer!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

Default First time buyer!

Hello

Looking to buy my first Mustang in over 15 yrs. I can't decide on whether to get a 2011 GT w/leather (no other bells and whistles) or a 08/09 GT/Bullet

Pro's of the 2011: 5.0!!, newer/less mileage, some warranty left
Con's : bigger payment

Pro's of the 08-09' GT/Bullet: Bullet's are rare/less monthly payment ($50 a month less than a 11' GT)

Body design I'm pretty indifferent.

If you ONLY had these two choices which would you get? I ask because you all are more aware than I am of the little nuances of these Mustangs (my last one was a 91' GT Vert)

Also, a local dealer had a 2011 GT w/leather (no other bells and whistles) w/8k miles and was asking $28k. I haven't haggled with a salesperson in YEARS.

What's a solid price for a car like that? Go in with a low ball offer of....$23k out the door? and work from there?

Anyways, thanks for listening and contributing and stories/advice/info you provide.

Soon, hopefully, I'll be one of you!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

The Bullitt would be a great car. It's got a proven and reliable powertrain, and still has plenty of power. Plus it's collectible. Will you be looking to mod it right off the bat or keep it stock? Some people have had issues with the 5.0 #8 cylinder going with an intake and tune, but I think it's been blown a bit out of proportion. Regardless if it did happen, your warranty is screwed haha.

I picked up my 08 with 36k over a year ago for a little under $20k. Not sure what the new 5.0's are going for at this point. I know I got a little ripped off but it's almost fully loaded and that's about what they were going for in my area at the time.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

The Bullitts are nice cars, but you can make a car to look like a Bullitt. I bought my car because I wanted performance, if I were you I would go with the '12.

Moving from an '06 GT to my '12 I couldn't be happier. I also like the new bodystyle better.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Having owned a 2005 and now this 2012, I can tell you that one of the biggest differences I noticed was the interior. The 2010+ is so much better than the 2005-09 Mustangs... In addition, you said it yourself, more power, but the 4.6 was no slouch. If this was my decision to make, I would recommend the 2011-2012.

Like another poster stated, you can make a 2005-09 look like a Bullitt if you really want that, but the engine is the same (except the intake and tune). Nothing collectible in my opinion.

Don
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Personally, I would want the newer car, with bells and whistles even though I'm not a fan of the 10+ rear end. Having the 5.0 and updated interior is just plain nice, the 05-09 interior is extremely basic. My 06 doesn't even have an auxiliary input jack. Seems the 11's are hit and miss though, more than enough people have reported issues with them.

The Bullitt only if it means something to you. If you want to keep it as a "collectible", it needs to be low miles and you can forget driving it.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Personally, I would want the newer car, with bells and whistles even though I'm not a fan of the 10+ rear end. Having the 5.0 and updated interior is just plain nice, the 05-09 interior is extremely basic. My 06 doesn't even have an auxiliary input jack. Seems the 11's are hit and miss though, more than enough people have reported issues with them.

The Bullitt only if it means something to you. If you want to keep it as a "collectible", it needs to be low miles and you can forget driving it.
What's the fun in that?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of the '10 + but I do love the 5.0... I just can't get past the rear end.

The 4.6L is no slouch, though, and you can add a good custom tune to any '05-'09 GT and be putting down about 10 RWHP more than the Bullitt tune does. Either way, welcome!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Ive had an 06, then a 10 with a supercharger, then an 07 GT500.

Interior wise the 11 will have better materials and more bells and whistles than 09 and earlier. It does feel more refined. But Im 6'2" 240 and honestly, the 10+ doesnt feel as roomy. So if youre a bigger guy, consider the older one for that. Hook up a set of Shelby seats and you'll be super comfortable. However, any of the S197's are far more roomy than the previous models!

With that though, you're saving a little bit of coin a month on payments, but if the term is the same length or close to the same, I'd go with the '11.

If it were just a plain toss up between the 2, definitely the 11 for the power. I guess I've never been a big fan of the Bullitt. I get the reason for it...just not into it. If you're not attached to the allure of the Bullitt, I agree with Nuke and get and say maybe 07-09 more loaded and minor mods and youd be super happy too.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I've read a lot about people having the problems with the #8 cylinder problem with a tune and most companies have said they fixed the problem. I've only heard about it with the '11 GT. I have a friend with a '01 Bullitt and he loves it. I'd go with the Bullitt with the better powertrain and plus like you said, you don't see a lot of them on the road.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

I like them all and could live with any of them. You can do so much with the 05-09s as far as after-market parts. The late models 11-13s are very fast cars right off the showroom floor and its hard to find a better bang for your buck anywhere. Hard to lose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time buyer!