Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Exhausts and where do I buy used parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Wei Wang

Default Questions about Exhausts and where do I buy used parts?

I constantly see people being dissatisfied with their new exhausts and want new ones, so there has to be a bunch of ppl selling used exhaust systems right?

Can anyone suggest me a good website or to buy used aftermarket parts? I tried ebay and amazon and just cant find many USED parts.

I googled "used aftermarket mustang auto parts" as well but
A. I don't know witch websites are good and
B. they sell mostly the first generation S197 parts, and I drive a 2012 V6.

Also as I said I drive a 2012 V6, it is an Auto, COA package, ugly exhausts, doesn't matter how much I appreciate the stock sound - no drone, not too loud, just fine - it is ugly as hell and i'm dying to change it.

People told me about drones, because it is an auto trans so droning is extra bad, so I crossed out magnaflow, flowmaster, pypes, and borla(expensive) on my own. What's left on my list are Roush, Dynomax, MRT interceptor, Corsa, Bassani and Ford Racing, and I want some suggestions regarding these four brands in terms of droning and loudness.

I know that Ford Racing won't let me down but they are just too expensive for me.

Dynomax, MRT, and Corsa all claim to be drone-free, and I guess that I will buy one of these three, the question is which to buy.

I can't decide which one to get, so I came here for help from those who drive Automatic 2011-2012 V6's.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

From what i've read Corsa is the top of the line as far as drone.

Check out the parts section on this forum and ebay.

I bought some mufflers on ebay a few years ago and paid about 55% of retail.

All you have to do is "wait for it."
Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

I got my Dynamax VTs at half price on E Bay. The add said "used open box" but when they can in they were new in open box. I saw that the outer cover was backwards on one of them with the arrow pointing toward the front of the car, I checked and the valve was correct and everything worked as it should. I will let you know how they fit. Extremly good buy but as a rule I would not buy used exhaust.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Exhaust tone is really subjective. Ones persons perfection is anothers nightmare. I have never read about magnaflow droning either. Use youtube with headphones as a good starting point to find what you like. Buying used, you just have to be patient.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

As far as buying used, check the Parts Section on the numerous mustangforums out there, plus eBay, craigslist, etc....exhausts are definitely one of those thing people are always changing until they get it right..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Some people like the drone. You mentioned cost as why you are shying away from certain brands. Corsa's are very expensive, twice as expensive as most AB's. I'm on my 6th exhaust combo. I started with SLP LM's and they sounded awesome but developed some drone. I wanted more power and went to LT's and without a muffler it was too loud for me. LT's with hi-flow X-pipe and Corsa's sounded incredible but good ole' CA put an end to the LT's and now I have just the Corsa AB's. There is no drone and I have put about 35K with them, so they are broken in. The only drawback is the weight and the fact that I miss the off throttle pop the SLP LM's gave me.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

SLP's sound awesome if you have stock exhaust pipes.

I had them on our 06GT
After we put long tubes and cams the sound from the exhaust was so great that
it sent vibrations back towards the front of the car and my car sounded it had bees in the dashboard lol!

Had to get rid of them after that.
But nothing I tried could give me that SLP loudmouth sound I missed SO MUCH.
But the cam sound and the awesome shake of the cams made the trade off an EASY decision lol

SLP loudmouths are not for the guys that want mild exhaust.
That's for sure.

Drone can be very tricky with these cars too.
What drones on one Mustang sometimes does not drone on another or not nearly as bad.

Corsa and Bassani are the best as far as word of mouth that I have heard over the years for no drone or little drone.
Bassani is cheaper I am pretty sure.

We put Bassani Race on our 06GT after we took the SLP's off.
I was doubting Bassani and really didn't think they would sound good.
(Not sure why I thought that), but they did sound good.
They were just a lot quieter than the SLP's... but that is to be expected.

Corsa is about the most expensive you can get.

Oh we also had the aggressive Magnaflows on at one time before the SLP.
They sounded pretty darn good and we had no drone problems.
Not sure how high their prices are either in comparison.

Again.. exhaust is just SO subjective.
If I were you I'd check out the local Mustang Clubs or shows and check out as many exhaust setups
as you can and listen to them. Youtube videos really can't give you a realistic sound as to what they will actually
sound like in person. I learned this REALLY fast.

If you want to buy used another good idea is check all the Mustang Forums you can and look
in the classified sections. Just check it everyday on them.
Exhaust pops up for sale on forums quite often!
Just don't pay cash. Use Paypal.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

www.s197forum.com always has exhaust, Me I went with straight through bassanis and an off road x and tuned length, I didn't need long tubes, also need to consider, if you go long tubes now an done day want to go turbo those have to come off, also if you buy a mid pipe now and no long tubes, if you ever upgrade to long tubes you have to change your mid pipe. My exhaust is loud as I want it, it's clean no pops which is what I wanted some like already stated it's subjective, what sounds good to you may not for others.