MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   cams in! kinda... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/680860-cams-in-kinda.html)

Lem-06 09-03-2012 08:39 PM

cams in! kinda...

installed my cams yesterday, driver side took forever, i derped and put passenger side and torqued phaser down before i realized.
swapped out the correct cam.
removed passenger side and replaced it.
didnt torque the phasers down<first the wrench was found to be WAY out of calibration> and i didnt wanna re-use a bolt.
came back just 20 minutes ago, went to slowly turn over the engine to check followers, person who helped didnt tighten the passenger phaser bolt tight enough and the phaser slipped off and wound up throwing the chain....
just got off the phone with one of my uncles to have my car towed tomorrow to their shop and re-time it.

the instant that chain went flying it was beyond my means of repair....hope they can get it re-timed tomorrow and back on the road...for i am pissed..

hammeron 09-03-2012 10:39 PM

not to worry, they'll get it all timed up and back
on the road...the important thing is you will be
cammed!

Lem-06 09-03-2012 10:45 PM

yes, and thank you hammeron for the write up, I was determined I could do it after reading the writeup. technically they ARE installed....lol
between your writeup and ultraklassic<on s197> talking me through some questions on the phone we got them in without spring compressor and some help.
I cannot wait to get this thing running again, hope my uncles make short work of it <i just dont have patience to attempt that now>
Ill just wind up sitting in my driveway idling away with a silly stupid grin across my face

ps, i vow to never remove these valve covers again after this...lol

HxCGuitars 09-03-2012 11:04 PM

Hey at least you turned it over by hand and thew the phaser off that way instead of starting it!

Lem-06 09-03-2012 11:08 PM

if i could have started it in its current setup, i would be buying a lotto ticket.
the coil over plugs were on a shelf, fuel line is tied away from the fuel line, fuel injectors are unplugged, battery isnt connected <was on the floor beside the car>
but you have a point, better to INCH it SLOWLY by hand and throw the chain instead of crank it up and suddenly remember "did i torque down that phaser?"

808muscle 09-04-2012 12:59 AM

If you dig you can find threads where they did start it.............very bad. Good luck getting it all good again.

a_lopez1975 09-04-2012 04:14 AM

Good luck and I'm sure things will turn out fine. Keep us posted...

hammeron 09-04-2012 09:21 AM

well you are very welcome Lem-06 and Ultra is great, he's helped dozens of
folks who wanted or needed to do the job without the compressor.
hopefully it'll all be finished soon, so we can hear how you like the
new cams.

Lem-06 09-04-2012 10:39 AM

yea he helped alot in the walk through
got the car to the shop today......my wallet is going to kill me...
repair program states 8 hours to remove cover, re-time and such...
ultra said if i lived closer he would fix it for me

808muscle 09-04-2012 02:59 PM

Still cheaper than if you had started that motor. You would have destroyed a lot of stuff. Next time don't trust your buddy has tightened anything. Whiles cams arnt a super complicated mod you can f#ck things up really bad. I would consider your situation as lucky. Pay the money and get it done properly. Good luck, and enjoy the new lope.