Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Problem... I Think I Goofed Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Subwoofer Problem... I Think I Goofed Up

Well, before I accidentally broke an RCA cable, I was using my aftermarket subs and amps daily. Then, being both busy and lazy, I waited 5 months to fix the cable. During that time, something was causing the car to just pop and the PCM would reset. I finally figured out that it was insulation around the sub and amp fuse (dumb to have them all on one fuse, right?) - it happened about 5 times before I figured out where the insulation was worn. Since I wasn't using my subs or amps, I figured I didn't need to worry.

Jump forward to this morning. I finally replaced the RCA cable, plug my iPod in, load up my favorite song... And the subs aren't coming on. NBD I figured. After 10 minutes of trouble shooting, nothing. Finally I check both my amps, and neither of them appear to be getting power. I checked the switches and I had them all in the proper positions. Still nothing.

So now I'm sitting here praying I didn't fry $1000 worth of hard earned money, and 3 days of work.

Anyone have any ideas? Think maybe the fuse blew? If it isn't blown, what else could be the problem? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

most likely a blown fuse. Is there an inline fuse by the battery?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
most likely a blown fuse. Is there an inline fuse by the battery?
Yep, a huge one. Checking it on my lunch break.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

BTW, there isn't a fuse for the sub.. just the amp unless you're talking about 2 different amps.

But yeah, if the power wire was bare then it might have made contact with ground somewhere and popped the fuse. You might need a multimeter to check it. Make sure you have fixed whatever bare wires you saw first. Also make sure that wherever the power wire passes through the body hasn't rubbed itself bare before you power things back up.

good luck
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Make sure you have a rubber grommet in the firewall where your amp wire passes through. You probably had the power wire get cut and touch the firewall making a short, thus blowing your fuse.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Fuse isn't blown... I felt that the subs were vibrating - BARELY - so they're getting some power. The amps are cold and dark.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Test the power cable going to the amp and see if power is coming through.. If it is and the amp isn't powering on then the amp is done (unless it has an internal fuse you can check).
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't let those in-line fuses fool you. If it's the older style glass style fuse that you have by the battery it is possible one of the ends under the metal caps are cracked at the connection point so you aren't getting enough power to sub. They solder the fusible link to each of the metal caps. If the solder joint has weakend, the fuse will get flakey. THe more current you draw the hotter the fuse gets so with a cracked connection point it opens the circuit as heat expands it.

I had an issue like that years ago, had me chasing my tail as sometimes the system would work great, other times it would flake out. I finally checked voltage AND current draw in the power line. That's how I found that beyond a certain amount of current, the fuse would cut the power. Replaced it, all was well. When I inspected the old fuse with a flashlight you could see where the solder point was cracking and the burns caused from sparking.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Don't let those in-line fuses fool you. If it's the older style glass style fuse that you have by the battery it is possible one of the ends under the metal caps are cracked at the connection point so you aren't getting enough power to sub. They solder the fusible link to each of the metal caps. If the solder joint has weakend, the fuse will get flakey. THe more current you draw the hotter the fuse gets so with a cracked connection point it opens the circuit as heat expands it.

I had an issue like that years ago, had me chasing my tail as sometimes the system would work great, other times it would flake out. I finally checked voltage AND current draw in the power line. That's how I found that beyond a certain amount of current, the fuse would cut the power. Replaced it, all was well. When I inspected the old fuse with a flashlight you could see where the solder point was cracking and the burns caused from sparking.
A friend of mine recently had the same issue. He finally checked it with a multimeter and found the fuse was bad.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Good news is that I have a multimeter back in the barn. I'll let you know how it goes...

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Problem... I Think I Goofed Up