Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping in new gears; some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the friction modifier

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-f...difier-MusOnly
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses will post back when they're in! Now I need to find a shop...

Hmmmmmmm....

I'm in PA
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Make sure the FRRP's you ordered dont have an M at the item number at the end.
They are made by Motive. They are not as strong and have causes a lot of grief for people!

Some people say this is not true but after seeing four of my buds have this happen, I can attest to it.
They are not built as strong and cause problems from gear whine, to worse.
They cost about the same so no use in taking the risk my friend!
IF you did get the Motive gears send them back.
Its not worth the hassle of the instal, problems, then ordering the right ones, install, and breaking them in again.
If you are doing something. Do it right the first time brotha!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-14-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

My experience with the 4.10 install

1. Gears and oil are all I had done. I had prolly 37k on the odometer and my installer said that my bearings were immaculate and I don't require new ones for many, many miles (I baby my car 90% of the time is why). You bought yours so do it anyways.

2. My break in period included a nonstop 150 mile drive home at highway speeds and just going easy on the throttle. I drove it like a new car for a week. My installer works on Mustangs and nothing else and they specifically said that I will be fine doing so. Some people will swear up and down that you absolutely need heat/cool cycles as soon as you drive the car or the world will end. I'm sure this has truth to it but I drive normally and don't have big HP so I felt fine listening to my installer. Do what you want with your car as long as you feel confortable when doing it. I have absolutely no whine or issues after 20k+ miles on the odometer since then.

3. I used Royal Purple in factory wieght. When I asked about friction modifiers, my installer told me they have RedLine but Royal Purple already has modifiers in it and I would be wasting my money. It even says on the bottle as well as the RP website. Even American Muscle will tell you the same exact thing. You will run across those here that swear otherwise but I trusted AM when I bought my oil and have had zero issues.

EDIT: Don't forget to change the gear ratio with your handheld tuner!

Last edited by Ricardo; 09-14-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

good questions, thats my next project. Who are you having do the install, install is around 300?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Make sure the FRRP's you ordered dont have an M at the item number at the end.
So the FRRP's that start with M are ok? I'm seeing a lot with a leading M in the item number.

Also, do these require a new tune or can I just change the gear ratio selection on my SCT tuner?

Last edited by WildAzCat; 09-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
My experience with the 4.10 install

1. Gears and oil are all I had done. I had prolly 37k on the odometer and my installer said that my bearings were immaculate and I don't require new ones for many, many miles (I baby my car 90% of the time is why). You bought yours so do it anyways.

2. My break in period included a nonstop 150 mile drive home at highway speeds and just going easy on the throttle. I drove it like a new car for a week. My installer works on Mustangs and nothing else and they specifically said that I will be fine doing so. Some people will swear up and down that you absolutely need heat/cool cycles as soon as you drive the car or the world will end. I'm sure this has truth to it but I drive normally and don't have big HP so I felt fine listening to my installer. Do what you want with your car as long as you feel confortable when doing it. I have absolutely no whine or issues after 20k+ miles on the odometer since then.

3. I used Royal Purple in factory wieght. When I asked about friction modifiers, my installer told me they have RedLine but Royal Purple already has modifiers in it and I would be wasting my money. It even says on the bottle as well as the RP website. Even American Muscle will tell you the same exact thing. You will run across those here that swear otherwise but I trusted AM when I bought my oil and have had zero issues.

EDIT: Don't forget to change the gear ratio with your handheld tuner!
Sounds like the exact same thing I did. The shop that did my install was 90 miles from my house, so I just drove it all the way home. And I replaced the oil after a few hundred miles with Royal Purple and no friction modifier. She's quiet as can be 15k miles later and no issues.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I would EMPHASIZE that you DO follow the break in period.
Some people get away with not doing it but MANY end up getting gear whine or run into problems down the road when they do not properly break them in.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by WildAzCat
So the FRRP's that start with M are ok? I'm seeing a lot with a leading M in the item number.

Also, do these require a new tune or can I just change the gear ratio selection on my SCT tuner?

Post a link to the ones you are looking at.
I'm not sure that an M on front is o.k.

They may have changed the M from the back to the front.
In fact I believe I read where Motive gears DO start with the M at
the front many times.
You don't want Motive gears.

You can change the gear ratio with your handheld tuner.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I would EMPHASIZE that you DO follow the break in period.
Some people get away with not doing it but MANY end up getting gear whine or run into problems down the road when they do not properly break them in.
I agree, but I'd bet some of those issues are simply caused by an incorrect installation. Hopefully I continue to operate problem free.

Quick Reply: Swapping in new gears; some questions