Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9/11 Where were you?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I was doing a welding repair on KA205 column when we got the word that the first plane had hit. We kept working until we heard that a 2nd plane had hit the second tower. I rememeber thinking that we were on some sort of attack. We stopped and went to find out what was going on. We got to a control room and that was when the 3rd plane hit and I knew something was bad wrong. 2nd worst thing I have ever seen. I WILL NEVER FORGET.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I had just moved to new jersey that on the 9th of september. crazy stuff man.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

YEP Never Forget!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I was in high school, sitting in German class. I can't believe its been so long.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My wife and I were on vacation, in the hotel getting ready to go to Disneyland. I turned on the tv to GMA a few minutes before the second plane hit while my wife was in the shower and had to tell her. We later went outside with the rest of the tourists because we were all in kind of shock...there were people who didnt know what was going on and then we wandered around L.A. for 2 days because the park was closed. I remember going to a greasy spoon on the second day and it was all over the news...the restaurant is run and frequented mostly by hispanics...some of whom I suspected were illegals...and it was eye opening for me because until then I had thought of them as a separate part of society, but they were just as angry and hurt as we were...if they could have taken the field of battle under the American flag I have no doubt they would have.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Living on maui I woke up to my clock radio around 6:30 which was 12:30 east coast time. The DJ kept talking about planes attacking the towers. It all sounded like a bad morning radio show. Finally turned on the TV and was blown away. I knew immediately that this was very bad. Went to work for a couple of hours then came home and watched the news constantly. Maui felt like a ghost town for the next month, nobody wanted to travel. My sister worked for the army jag corp at the Pentagon. I was relieved she was OK, many coworkers were not. A day where I can remember more in detail than any other day.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Camp Pendleton California...MCT - Marine Combat Training...I had just graduated boot camp...and we weren't told what happened until that evening...I'll never really know exactly what I was doing the moment it happened...I think we were PT'ing.

We knew something was up however because a Light Armored Vehicle unit was across the street from us in Camp Horno and when we got up to PT we saw the entire base come to life...LAVs, machine gun posts...it was crazy.

For us having joined in peacetime, this event forever changed our military career.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I had enlisted in the Marine Corps a month prior during my senior yr in high school, so when i saw that on the tv during school that day I already knew I was going somewhere, didnt know where just I was leaving. Boy was I right Iraq twice Afgan twice and no Kosovo
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I was in Tampa on a business trip setting up a new 300+ employee office's servers, PC's and IDF, when we got the news; Was supposed to fly home 2 days later - the guy I flew down with and myself drove our rental car back to Atlanta (v6 Stang btw!) - it was only for local driving as I recall, but Eff that we wanted to be home with our family. In those initial days it was any ones guess what was next. We weren't sure if there would even be gas affordable to get back if we stayed longer given there were no flights at at that time no one said when they'd start up again (gas prices went nuts for a while, before regulators came in and handed the doomsday scalpers their asses).

Having been in New York just 6 months previous in Dec 2000 for Christmas, and having captured my own photos of the towers and feeling the awesomeness of New York for the first time, I feel lucky to have seen them first hand and realized just how massive and an incredible feat of engineering any skyscraper is - up close and personal.

RIP all those firefighters, policemen and women, and all those trying to save lives that day that lost their own; doing their jobs. True every day American Heros.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I remember going to a greasy spoon on the second day and it was all over the news...the restaurant is run and frequented mostly by hispanics...some of whom I suspected were illegals...and it was eye opening for me because until then I had thought of them as a separate part of society, but they were just as angry and hurt as we were...if they could have taken the field of battle under the American flag I have no doubt they would have.
I'm Hispanic - first generation born in the US - and growing up around mostly Hispanics, I can tell you that the majority come to respect and love the United States just as much, if not, even more than they do their home countries. I don't wanna get political and don't mean to get away from the original topic, but I can guarantee you that if they could bring their whole families, they wouldn't even miss their home countries.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9/11 Where were you?