Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2013 v6 today

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I drove a 12' for a week end (v8). Somehow i was not feeling any strong acceletation, it was on 20 inch rims tho...maybe the stock exaust didnt help getting me in the feeling,but dont get me wrong, with a bit of bolt on/tune. They are beast
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Dont do it...all the work in your current ride, you're going to miss it. If you are going to trade, go with the v8. Sounds like you have a case of the car buy fever setting in....
Yea, I probably would not have anyway. I love my car, but the factor that drew me in was the added mpg and hp. So I just wanted to try it out. After driving it though it just isn't as fun... I was curious to see what other people experienced with it. It is just odd because most people do not race. I myself just like having a fun torquey car for taking off from lights and coming out of turns a little fast haha. With the 3.7 it just seems like by the time you get into the power you are already at 60... if you try to obey speed limits at least to some degree then thats all you've got. The v8 would be nice but I have an atleast 80 mile a day commute, and gas and insurance would kill me haha. For now I think i'll be sticking with the 4.0.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

My 2013 GT is a hell-of-a-lot faster than my 2008 GT.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seraphim118
Yea, I probably would not have anyway. I love my car, but the factor that drew me in was the added mpg and hp. So I just wanted to try it out. After driving it though it just isn't as fun... I was curious to see what other people experienced with it. It is just odd because most people do not race. I myself just like having a fun torquey car for taking off from lights and coming out of turns a little fast haha. With the 3.7 it just seems like by the time you get into the power you are already at 60... if you try to obey speed limits at least to some degree then thats all you've got. The v8 would be nice but I have an atleast 80 mile a day commute, and gas and insurance would kill me haha. For now I think i'll be sticking with the 4.0.
I drive 80 miles round trip daily for my job... 80% is highway and I average 24mpg combined (hand calculated when I fill up) when I drive like a sane person or 19mpg when I drive it like i stole it... This is about 4-5mpg better than my 05 got doing the same trip daily... I keep my cruise control at 75-80mph on the highway... I love having all the torque that 302 cubic inches provides...

Don
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
I agree. Everyone here brought up a good point. Sounds like you're already happy with what you have. I also am happy with my car, and at one point even considered a 5.0. However, after careful consideration, I realized the only upgrade that makes sense for where I'm at mustang wise, would be a GT500.
I was going to say the same thing. The only upgrade for me would be a GT500... and then I wouldn't feel right daily driving it!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 4.0 vs 3.7

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
I agree. Everyone here brought up a good point. Sounds like you're already happy with what you have. I also am happy with my car, and at one point even considered a 5.0. However, after careful consideration, I realized the only upgrade that makes sense for where I'm at mustang wise, would be a GT500.
I owned a 2009 4.0 w/3.31:1 gear, my new 12 3.7 is faster but with 2.73:1
gear. If you want more power go w/ V8.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

You didn't say whether the V6 you drove was an automatic or a manual transmission. Change out the rear end gears, get a tune and you will see a world of difference in the V6. Shift points in the automatic are wimpy as delivered by Ford. The rev limiter also restricts top speed. Fix those two items, or one if you have a manual trans, and the V6 comes alive. An aluminum driveshaft is good for piece of mind. Also, you need to get the revs up on the V6, in order to get into the power band, VS a V8, where you experience max torque at lower revs.

Of course you will not get the HP of a Coyote V8, unless you add a supercharger or turbos. If you are going to go that route, change the bottom end, and you will be at 500 - 700 HP.

If you don't like to seriously mod your mustang, get a V8, and do bolt ons. You'll get 500 - 600 HP, and be a member of a very large group of mustang owners.

If you're like me, and want something less expensive, but still faster than most V8 mustangs, get the V6 and Procharge it, or add twin turbos. You will then be a member of an elite group of mustang owners.

Last edited by freyes; 09-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

i just had one as a rental car on my honeymoon and granted it was a convertible that made it a little better. I currently own a 06 gt so it definately felt a little wimpy, i came from an 05 v6 and i had the same thought it didn't FEEL like it was faster. Now saying that i did notice that going around the curves on hwy 1 down to santa cruz when coming around a curve even at a lower speed when you step on it and it downshifts and you hit the higher RPM's it really seems to pull a lot. From a stop though it feels like a dog. Gears would make a world of difference on this but from what you were looking at if you decided to get a newer one because of MPG and power you would likely get different gears to give you the power but you would drop the MPG right back down and likely be in the same boat there. Now i will say with sync and all the other options (changing steering feel was pretty sweet) the car itself was really really nice. But thats my personal experience and that was a weeks worth of driving it, and i'll tell you i drove that thing like it was my car (like i stole it) and i was only averaging like 20mpg mixed highway/in town
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

My car is a 4.0 (for now) and I test drove a 3.7 just cause a couple months ago. Just the same as you it really did not feel faster than my 4.0. I was disappointed to be honest, I knew it was faster but it doesn't feel it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

if you do go v8!

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2013 v6 today