Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT rear o2 delete tune and state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
A non-fouler is a little "adapter" that screws into the rear O2 location, and the rear O2 goes in the other end. What it does is effectively pull the sensor away from the exhaust stream, making the computer think the cats are working fine (because if you have no cats, there will be more flow across the rear O2's).
Thanks for your reply S19. Does that mean that if I delete my cats, & put in the adapters with the O2 sensors in place, that my check engine light won't come on?? I don't have to pass I & M, but if the adapters would keep the engine light off it would save me $$$$ getting a tune to keep the light off.
Also, if just moving the O2 sensors back a little from the exhaust flow fools the ECM, would taking them out & plugging the holes, (but leaving the O2 sensors connected electrically), do the same thing as using the adapters, or would they be sensing too much pure oxy & tell the ECM that the engine was running too lean & trigger the engine light that way?
This is a bone stock '08 GT except for a BBK CAI & Basanni mufflers if that makes any difference.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
Thanks for your reply S197. Does that mean that if I delete my cats, & put in the adapters with the O2 sensors in place, that my check engine light won't come on?? I don't have to pass I & M, but if the adapters would keep the engine light off it would save me $$$$ getting a tune to keep the light off.
Also, if just moving the O2 sensors back a little from the exhaust flow fools the ECM, would taking them out & plugging the holes, (but leaving the O2 sensors connected electrically), do the same thing as using the adapters, or would they be sensing too much pure oxy & tell the ECM that the engine was running too lean & trigger the engine light that way?
This is a bone stock '08 GT except for a BBK CAI & Basanni mufflers if that makes any difference.
If you go O/R, and use the non-foulers (some have said they had to stack 2 sets of them), you CAN fool the ECU to thinking the cats are there, and pass inspection.

You can't just plug the holes and remove the O2's from the exhaust. The ECU would get a cluster f*** of different readings from the air moving over the sensor at different speeds.

Also remember, the Rear O2's are really stupid. Their sole purpose in life is to detect flow. To much = cat problem. Too little = cat problem. They don't monitor A/F like the fronts do.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

If you go O/R, and use the non-foulers (some have said they had to stack 2 sets of them), you CAN fool the ECU to thinking the cats are there, and pass inspection.

You can't just plug the holes and remove the O2's from the exhaust. The ECU would get a cluster f*** of different readings from the air moving over the sensor at different speeds.

Also remember, the Rear O2's are really stupid. Their sole purpose in life is to detect flow. To much = cat problem. Too little = cat problem. They don't monitor A/F like the fronts do.
Very good points made here. The non-foulers are huge on the Dodge Ram forums (I have a Ram too)...many of the Ram guys will have the double set of non-foulers and some will also stuff a little steel wool into the second non-fouler....

Our inspection is due in January, so I'll test a few methods to determine what works...will report.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Thanks, that's some good info. I don't have to pass inspection, I just don't want the ck engine light coming on when I go to new pipes & delete the cats. I could just take the bulb out but then it wouldn't be there to tell me if there were other engine problems that were going on. Is the part that I highlighted in red for sure? I always thought the rears were there to protect the cats & they sensed excess hydrocarbons, CO, & oxides of nitrogen that made it through the cat(s) to see if they were working properly. ie; if an injector was stuck open & flooded a cat with fuel, the cat wouldn't be able to burn it all & would show excess HC to the rear O2 sensor..

If the rears are that stupid then this is going to be easy ha ha
Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Milspec
Very good points made here. The non-foulers are huge on the Dodge Ram forums (I have a Ram too)...many of the Ram guys will have the double set of non-foulers and some will also stuff a little steel wool into the second non-fouler....

Our inspection is due in January, so I'll test a few methods to determine what works...will report.
I mean, with the possibility of stacking 1 or 2, and you can drill them out, or put steel wool in there, you can find the correct amount of flow to make them think the cat is still there. I didn't bother and just went for the dyno tune.

Originally Posted by GT Katie
[/COLOR]

Thanks, that's some good info. I don't have to pass inspection, I just don't want the ck engine light coming on when I go to new pipes & delete the cats. I could just take the bulb out but then it wouldn't be there to tell me if there were other engine problems that were going on. Is the part that I highlighted in red for sure? I always thought the rears were there to protect the cats & they sensed excess hydrocarbons, CO, & oxides of nitrogen that made it through the cat(s) to see if they were working properly. ie; if an injector was stuck open & flooded a cat with fuel, the cat wouldn't be able to burn it all & would show excess HC to the rear O2 sensor..

If the rears are that stupid then this is going to be easy ha ha
All the rears do is detect flow. The fronts are responsible for telling the ECU "LEAN!" or "RICH!" or "DUMP FUEL TO COOL CATS!".

Rears are dumb
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

yea before computerization you could pay em off like a dirty cop but now its impossible damn near be safe and throw the stock on
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
yea before computerization you could pay em off like a dirty cop but now its impossible damn near be safe and throw the stock on
Yeah, if you know the right people, you can pull the ol' "plug into a different vehicle" trick...I think I have a place that might do that, but I'd prefer to try to pass it as legit as possible before resulting to bribing and plugging into another vehicle.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

All the rears do is detect flow. The fronts are responsible for telling the ECU "LEAN!" or "RICH!" or "DUMP FUEL TO COOL CATS!".

Rears are dumb
Thanks S19 !! That makes it a win-win for me. I don't have to pay $400 for a tune & I can do the foulers myself.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Yea, its just going to take some playing around to figure out the right combo.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Juan Lopez

Note: I have all the respect in the world for AM, ran their tunes for 2 years before switching to dyno.

You CAN pass with an O/R pipe if you have the right tune.

Now, if AM wants to PM me its fine, but can you online tuners not give people tunes that will pass the OBDII test if it has no cats? Its not rocket science, and I've been passing for 2+ years with no cats.
I dunno why so many people love AM. For every good part they sell at market price (that you can find cheaper if you look) they sell 5 pieces of crap that they advertise as "performance" parts. I do alot of reading now whenever I find something on their site that I want, and that research usually leads to not wanting the part, or finding it cheaper.

They sold me a DiabloSport Predator, and when I tried to get my 3 free tunes, they said "sorry, we only support the trinity, and only on post '05 applications. Why sell something you don't support?

AM can PM me too if they want, but I dunno what they would say to make me happy with them.