Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Private sale or dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm always leary about purchasing from a private seller. Everything is sold "as is" (not saying some dealers aren't) but there is that certain comfort level IF there was something wrong. If I did find the perfect car and it was a private seller, then it would still be a possibility but I normally look dealer first. You might be able to get a better deal private.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I was kiding for the lemom, here in canada there is NO way you can find a 2012-2013 under 31k. 2011 go for 29. Ive seen a 28.5k once. I really wish i lived near all thoses "new '13 gt 28-29k". Id buy 3-4 n sell them in canada. Ive NEVER hear someone over here dealing -5000$ sticker price etc, i gotta figure out myoption for next summer cause i want a coyote but dont want to pay 30k for a damn 2011
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm with Menace, that's overpriced. I don't care if it's a GT premium. I had a dealer at 28K OTD on a BRAND NEW '12 GT premium two months ago. 30K miles and the guy wants 28K? DA FUQ!?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Damn Baker, $28k out the door? Maybe next time I go car shopping I'll just give you like $500 to be my negotiator.

To be honest i'm horrible about negotiating, and most dealers I've even entertained the idea about simply go. "Oh well, if you don't want to pay it... someone will." So sales aren't starving in my area I guess. The best deals I've seen are the discounts through USAA, but that's still not including taxes and everything.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
How can you compare a stripper model to a premium model? I'll give it the two years but it still has average to less than average mileage.. Trade in is still high.. If you can find a single GT premium with under 15K miles for under 26K that would be a deal.. I could only find one in all of the US for under 27K..

A base model 11 GT, that's a different story..
What is really so special about a GT base vs Premium? Shaker 500? Sync? The 4" data display? Ummm.... hmm, I'll pass.

If I were going to buy a newer mustang, simply saying that value dollar for dollar I'll go with the new "stripper" model. That $5k extra for the premium can mostly be replaced with cheaper/better aftermarket eventually if you even wanted most of the extra crap.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

I think I'm going to look through Costco's Auto program....I've heard people CAN get decent deals through that program.

I'm also wondering if I should wait a month or two? I've heard Oct-Nov is the best time to buy new....FORD will have their better year end incentives....no?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

When I bought my '12 last year, it was around Christmas and I had a 1500$ incentive.

in jan / early feb, the incentive was up to 3000$

I believe the 13's started becoming orderable in March .. arriving late March for the fortunate few early birds? most arriving later.

if that gives you any time line. I can't guarantee they will follow the same this year. I would think the incentive would be a little less - the 14s won't differ much from the 13s.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 AM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

Damn...for a possible extra $1000-1500 I might wait

Entaille.....what dealership did you go to? Where they reasonable?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I went through Brien Ford in Everett. I have mixed feelings. Their pricing, negotiations and sales people were all great.. I got what I wanted for my trade in, I got the car that I wanted for invoice, minus incentive etc.. all easy peasy. I was thrilled with them at this point.

their finance guy totally botched my loan paperwork on several instances. I probably wasted over 10 hours of my life working on correcting things and trying to get the guy to help me. he kept making promises and leading me on more or less to delay enough time where it wouldn't be his issue anymore. eventually their VP made things right and compensated me, and ... well, the finance guy doesn't work there now. not sure if he was canned or quit, but he was a nightmare to work with.

if I had to do it over again I'd probably work with Ford of Kirkland.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 AM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

Yea, I've heard the Kirkland lot is pretty solid.

I'm like a mile away from the Evergreen Ford lot. Have never dealt with them nor have I heard anything about them, good or bad.

The more and more I toss this around in my head, I'm leaning more and more to just going brand new. This is a car I intend to keep until I have to bring her into the pasture

Quick Reply: Private sale or dealership?