Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruh Roh Raggy, We Got a Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

You don't have to remove the calipers. You simply unbolt it at that bolt you have your arrow at and support the brake assembly with something. (wire, string, etc)

I have relatively brand new Koni sports and Steeda Sport springs/HD mounts and I noticed some groaning from the right side as well. I haven't investigated though, and I really hope I don't have to tear down/send in the Koni's for repair.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Be sure to look really good around the brake rotor/dust shield. I used to get rocks caught up in there all the time in my DD.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

It's your ebay breaks :P haha
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
Be sure to look really good around the brake rotor/dust shield. I used to get rocks caught up in there all the time in my DD.
It's definitely not that, I just changed them out a few days ago, and it's a different kind of noise.

Well I probably won't get around to fixing this until Friday, as I work and go to school. How safe is it to drive on? I only really drive this car to school twice a week and when I go to my friend's house.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
It's your ebay breaks :P haha
Lol shut up my Ebay brakes are SEX
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well it's only coming from the right one, so I'd probably just fix that for now. I called a local mechanic and he said he'd charge me 200 (to replace a bearing? Are you ****ing serious?).

I've personally never messed with the suspension on my car, I don't know if I feel comfortable doing it myself without some assistance. I'm sure I'd have to go get a disc brake caliper set because I'd assume you have to take the calipers off, and one of those compression wrenches. Well damn, now it's just a matter of do I want to waste money, or time on this -_-
It's not bad at all.
I have next to 0 mechanical experience prior to this car.
I just grab youtube and go at it..
I've done brakes, wheel bearings, shocks struts and springs, and a few other things. It's relatively simple.

You'll need some spring compressors, but those you can rent from autozone or somewhere like that.

It will probably take you about an hour or so to disassemble the strut, after that you compress the spring, take off the cap, pull it apart and see what's up with the bearings. Then from there you can put new ones in, clean them, grease them...
they probably need grease, is what I would assume.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
It's not bad at all.
I have next to 0 mechanical experience prior to this car.
I just grab youtube and go at it..
I've done brakes, wheel bearings, shocks struts and springs, and a few other things. It's relatively simple.

You'll need some spring compressors, but those you can rent from autozone or somewhere like that.

It will probably take you about an hour or so to disassemble the strut, after that you compress the spring, take off the cap, pull it apart and see what's up with the bearings. Then from there you can put new ones in, clean them, grease them...
they probably need grease, is what I would assume.
I actually might have a compressor lying around somewhere... but thank you that helps out a lot. As far as suspension goes, all I've ever done is swapped the shocks in my truck but that's it. It should be fairly easy then, maybe I can start on it now. Nothing WD-40 or axel grease couldn't handle.

Last edited by whosniffedme; 09-19-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo