Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruh Roh Raggy, We Got a Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Ruh Roh Raggy, We Got a Noise...

Drove my car to Cypress (about 30 minutes away) down some back country roads last night, and yeah I was doing some heavy driving. Everything was fine and dandy until I was about to leave somewhere, and I could hear a rubbing/metal moaning/ whatever you wanna call it from the right wheel well. It only does this whenever I turn the wheel, apart from that I can't hear it. I left my car there over night and I just drove home and didn't hear it as harshly.

I still don't like it though, I hate any and all suspension noise. As soon as my work opens and I can go grab my paycheck, I'm going to go get everything lubed and see if that fixes the problem. I'll keep y'all posted.

In the meantime though, has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Thank you!

Last edited by whosniffedme; 09-19-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

i'm going to preface my comment by saying that i am not a mechanic, and i am strictly guessing.

this said, when i owned a 2007 Ford Fusion SEL i was driving in the snow and tried to take a turn to hard. i slid and nailed a large curb with my right front tire. from that point forward, whenever i turned the wheel, it made a moaning/squeaking noise. turned out i had damaged the wheel bearings and the wheel bearing hub (i think that was what it was called). so perhaps that's your issue, perhaps not. look into it if all else fails (i'm told damaged wheel bearings can be dangerous).
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Could be several things, most likely the inner fender liner popped off and is rubbing when you're turning, or you drove over something that got stuck under the car. If it's not either of those it could be the strut tower bearing.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

(VVVVVVVVVVVV I accidentally posted the wrong picture and edited it, but it made it another post VVVVVVVVVVVVV)

Last edited by whosniffedme; 09-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well I checked everything out with a flashlight last night and didn't see anything physically rubbing on something else. I definitely didn't hit or run over anything either. I'm not a mechanic either, but it sounds like the noise is coming from....

.....right heeeeuh (leaving it big for y'all to see)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

That part shouldn't turn/move/rub because it's the nut... so unless it's loose I don't think that's the problem. You are missing a push-pin on the fender liner though. (directly left of your arrow) So many moving parts it's hard to figure out what the cause is.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Yeah that part is to hold the shock in place. supposed to be there :P

Is the moaning/groaning whenever you turn the wheel, even if the car is not in motion?

If so it could be the bearing in your strut assembly.

I switched out my springs a while back, and when doing so, all the ball bearings fell out.
Naturally, me being an ignorant teenager, decided I would be okay without them.
Well, every time I turned the wheel, there would be a groaning/grinding sound from it...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I wasn't pointing to that exact area, I'm just trying to say it's coming from around that area. And yes, I noticed that hahaha there's a couple missing on my front.

But yeah, It does it when I'm not moving. From what I've gathered here, it's probably that bearing. I'm assuming this is a cheap fix? Maybe I should go put some Redz on there hahaha (joke).

Can you show me where this bearing is located, and tell me how you fixed it?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

The bearings are actual ball bearings inside the strut assembly.
It's located at the very top of the strut, and the entire strut must be removed, the spring compressed, and the nut removed from the top.

You can find an exact writeup on any type of lowering spring install writeup.

As for putting ball bearings in, I went to a bike shop (bicycles..) and bought some bearings from them for about 10 bucks. If you need to replace them all, you'd need 40-50.

It's pretty simple and straightforward, although I've done it about 5 times now.
The first time took a bit :P
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well it's only coming from the right one, so I'd probably just fix that for now. I called a local mechanic and he said he'd charge me 200 (to replace a bearing? Are you ****ing serious?).

I've personally never messed with the suspension on my car, I don't know if I feel comfortable doing it myself without some assistance. I'm sure I'd have to go get a disc brake caliper set because I'd assume you have to take the calipers off, and one of those compression wrenches. Well damn, now it's just a matter of do I want to waste money, or time on this -_-

Quick Reply: Ruh Roh Raggy, We Got a Noise...