Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010GT, These brakes are the worst I've ever used.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

The lines will change pedal feel but won't change how the car brakes. The jury is out on pads as no one decided to test them, thus you could actually make your brakes worse. People tend to think big companies who sponsor race teams put out superior products yet there is no evidence. Why? If you made better pads why would you not have huge charts all over the your site showing so?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

What fluid is everyone using in their brake lines?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by George_ORH
Pads, Lines, and Fluid it is then!

I've been reading for a good bit (using search function) and most people agree that a good pad will go a long ways compared to stock.

Will the Hawk Ceramic Pads do what I want? I would enjoy keeping the dust as low as possible....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cerami...frontpads.html
The mustang was not made to do stops from 140 stock. Its a good car but I think your expectations are too high from a 25k car.

I would go with the hawk hps over the ceramics I'm pretty sure they offer better performance and thats what your looking for. I always thought the brakes sucked also, I put hp+ on for my first track day and they worked great for my 1st day out there 2nd time on that setup I got alot of fade and my pedal got very mushy 10 min in to my second session. HP+ are great on the street but they squeal and dust.

I also wanted more of a sports car which is why I got a new car but if you want to keep doing stops from 140 your either going to have to deal with the poor braking performance & possible death or deal with the squealing.

And from the way you made it sound you weren't beating on it prior to that stop one stop wouldnt cause the stock brake fluid to over heat but it could've been shot already. Was your pedal firm prior to hitting 140?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Oh ya and if you ask anyone they'll tell you to make sure you change your rotors when doing new pads especially for the stopping power you want. Rotors are so cheap for this car you can get take offs for 90$. I still have a set of take off front rotors that I planned on using with hawk ht-10 pads for the track but those would be way too much for "closed course" lol. If your going to get new rotors shoot me a pm ill give you a good deal on them I also have new brake ducts and cooling hoses from quantum motorsports if your interested
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

I'm guessing you have some new "takeoffs"?

If going that route I would probably just grab some aftermarkets....But....Then again.... The price of the aftermarkets are somewhat salty.

Originally Posted by 09blkgtcal
Oh ya and if you ask anyone they'll tell you to make sure you change your rotors when doing new pads especially for the stopping power you want. Rotors are so cheap for this car you can get take offs for 90$. I still have a set of take off front rotors that I planned on using with hawk ht-10 pads for the track but those would be way too much for "closed course" lol. If your going to get new rotors shoot me a pm ill give you a good deal on them I also have new brake ducts and cooling hoses from quantum motorsports if your interested
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Pretty much everyone who tracks their car using the stock braking system use stock rotors. They do very well when used with a good pad. They might look better (drilled/slotted rotors) but don't expect to get more performance out of aftermarket rotors.