Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Hunting for that Popping Noise (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Did you check the infamous lower control arm bushing?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

No but while I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and clean/grease every suspension component I can for the hell of it. There's so much dirt under that car, every time I work on a new component I always Scotch-Brite it and clean it so eventually maybe it'll be completely clean one day lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Ok, so the right side strut mount was alright, but when I noticed the left one wasn't moving, I took it apart and whatddya know, little metal ***** everywhere. The bearing fell apart. (There's going to be a lot of ball double meanings in here, try not to laugh). I rebuilt it, assembled everything and my front suspension is like butter now (in a good way). I made a little how-to in case anyone needs to resolve this problem. It's a pretty self explanatory.

Okay, so if you end up popping the bearing or bushing whatever you want to call it, you'll see a bunch of little *****, ring to hold the *****, a little metal plate covering them and a couple of plastic rings. Mine was all fallen apart, so here's what it looks like in pieces.

You're going to want that get that little plastic ring, set it upside down and place the ***** in one by one. Use needle nose pliers to help you out if needed. This is tedious, but be patient because you really don't want to lose those things. I was missing one, so I replaced it with a bb gun bb. It falls through the hole but it should be fine to replace one or two this way.

This part is a little trickier. You now need to stick the ring full of BBs to the strut mount without spilling all of those little bastards. Apply grease to the spot where you will be applying it, then grease VERY GENEROUSLY around the plastic ring over the BBs. This will help hold them in place a little better when you put it on, as well as lubricate the bearing. Place the strut mount over the ring upside-down, and then carefully stick the ring to the mount. Once it feels like it's on, flip it over and work in the grease by spinning the ring around a few times.

Once that's over, put a little grease on the metal ring to cover the plastic one, and apply it to assembly. Center it up, put on the smaller plastic cover, then the larger one. If everything was done right, it should spin fairly easily. Congratulations, you have repaired a strut mount.